cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP File Encryption

N/A

XP File Encryption

Reinstalled Windows XP yesterday, all my important files were backed up onto my 250gb usb removable drive. Problem is some of the files (including my CV grrr) are now encrypted with the XP file encryption and I just get the message "access denied" when trying to transfer them back to my C: drive. I have never used encryption so have no idea whats happened. Anyway, I have searched for hours on google and tried lots of different things without any luck, any ideas ? I still cannot access the files. Both drives are NTFS.
19 REPLIES
N/A

XP File Encryption

Did you encrypt these files yourself and then back them up, or has it sort of just done it itself automatically?
Community Veteran

XP File Encryption

You probably just need to take ownership of the files/folders via properties.

The way that I know of doing it is this:
Make the advanced security tab available to you when viewing folder/file properties by doing the following:

Go to- Control Panel> Folder Options> View tab of Folder Options> Scroll to bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing".

You may need to reboot, I can't remember.
You should now see when right clicking a file or folder and going to "properties" that a new tab (within the "security" tab I think) is available to you.
Here you can take ownership!

There is probably another way, but this has worked for me before.
N/A

XP File Encryption

I'm sure I have never used the encryption, not needed to, I am the only one to use my PC.
N/A

XP File Encryption

Thanks seventhstar, thats the type of thing I've been trying for hours but still can't access the files. If I was to convert the backup drive to fat32 from NTFS would that remove the encryption, I know thats a bit drastic but I really need to access the files :roll:
N/A

XP File Encryption

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812937

Got all those service packs on mate?
Community Veteran

XP File Encryption

Also whilst taking ownership of your files, it is probably worth checking (tick) "Show hidden files and folders", and maybe uncheck (un tick) "Hide protected operating sys files", within the "Folder Options" box.

Whilst you are in "Folder Options", it would be a good idea to uncheck "Hide extentions for known file types" (Can't believe this is on by default).
Community Veteran

XP File Encryption

Thanks seventhstar, thats the type of thing I've been trying for hours but still can't access the files.

Oh! :?
I dunno m8, it has worked for me before.
N/A

XP File Encryption

I bet its the update thing I mentioned. Afterall he is running on a new install of Windows, I bet it hasnt got any of the hotfixes on etc.
Community Veteran

XP File Encryption

Ah, yer, I am up to date, and it works, so I guess you could be onto it there m8.
N/A

XP File Encryption

Dunno if it was the same problem I had, but I found creating the same username and password on the new machine as youused to encrypt the files sorted stuff like this out (assuming it's just NTFS encryption anyway).
N/A

XP File Encryption

Ah, yer, I am up to date, and it works, so I guess you could be onto it there m8.

XP is fully updated with all hotfixes etc including sp2.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

XP File Encryption

Have you tried one of the various USB Drive Restoration Utilities
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

XP File Encryption

Remembered an option when I was messing about with the My Documents folder - did you make the folder private.
see this link for an explanation http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm
N/A

XP File Encryption

thanks for the replies, still no luck, but I can delete the locked files now but can't open or move them.