cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X800GT games freeze up

N/A

X800GT games freeze up

i play games on- line dfbhd and cally of duty2 when playing the game it freezers up and i have to re-boot

has any1 got a asrock 939duel-sata2 m/b and a x800gt powercolor card

i have the latest directx9 6.2 driver for card sp2 uli agp lan drivers and changed agp to pcie in bios (do i need to change any more Huh)

my computer
ezcool 600psu
amd 3500 64 venice core
asrock 939duel-sata2
160gb sata2 hdd d/western
win xp home
1 gb twinx duel channel corsair ran 3200c2pt
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

X800GT games freeze up

What temperature is your cpu running at whilst <a>playing games, and whilst <b>virtualy at idle?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

X800GT games freeze up

Without going into detail of your setup your power supply is inadequate as
It only has 24 amps on the 12 volt rail.
Just to add a bit more detail. Read this thread and look for at least 30 amps on the 12 volt rail (35 amps would be even better)
Further suggestion - I am not familiar with the Asrock boards but I know of many problems with the equivalent EpoX board trying to run dual channel memory at 1T with the venice cpu. Try dropping the memory down to 2T.
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

It’s likely to be your cpu temperature that’s causing the freezing, forget about your graphics card for now.

Did you get any monitoring software like Asus Probe with your motherboard?

If so get it running, alt+tab whilst in game and check your load temps (in game for more than 1 hour) A64's don’t like to go over 65 degree's :shock:
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

running speed fan 2.28
temp 1 29
temp 2 32 cpu
temp 3 29
hdo 47 is this high for a sata2 hdd
N/A

Re: X800GT games freeze up

temp 2 32 cpu

That’s your idle temperature yes?

Is it possible you can check whilst in game, you heatsink may not be seated correctly, so may be giving you high load temps.

If the issue is not your cpu temp it could be your power supply as stated before. Also check the fan on your graphics card to make sure it’s not being blocked in any way by dust etc!
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

As hotlane said, check the Memory Timings.

But unlike what Hotlane mentioned, I suggest you check the CAS and not the 1T/2T Timings (although it wouldnt hurt to check both, as I have had 1T issues in the past).

Venice processor have a common problem with some motherboards, running a .5 CAS latency will cause crashes and reboots etc. You need to make sure your CAS Latency is either 2.0 or 3.0 - 3.0 being the safest. You could also try changing the voltage to the memory but this is more risky.

A BIOS Update for the motherboard is known also to fix problems concerning memory timings, so it may be worth a look at your Motherboard Manual concerning updating the BIOS.

It wont be your graphics card, or overheating if everything is new and you have built it right. It will most likely be incorrect memory timings in the BIOS, possibly dodgy memory that needs replacing (try running 1 stick at a time and see if it still crashes), a BIOS update is required.

It is almost impossible to pinpoint the exact problem so you will have to go through each thing I mentioned and hope one of them fixes the issue.

Goodluck
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

You can’t rule out the graphics overheating - it’s best to still check.

I doubt it will be an issue with 1T/2T, the Venice core can cope with 1T or 2T with 2 RAM slots filled, its only when you occupy all 4 RAM slots that you need to set it to 2T.

Also its a well known fact that A64 rigs run better with Corsair RAM set to CAS 2.5 not CAS 2.0. The RAM rtparry is using should run flawlessly at CAS 2.5,3,3,6 1T set in the bios.

Hope that helps
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t52777.html

Asus and alot of other motherboard manufacturers lead folk to believe there was an issue with CAS Timings despite what you believe Paco. Some motherboards will require a BIOS Update to fix issues with it or often found changing the CAS to 3.0 also works.

The reason I know this was because when I was working for an online retailer we were contacted by several folk with various boards having issues with Venice Processors. When we contacted the MB manufacturers they issued the same statement posted in the above thread.

Also, I have come across alot of overheating graphics cards and processors. Most noticeable for an over-heating GPU is not a crash but rather visual errors before or after a crash. Seeing as the poster did not mention this I ruled it out. Also an overheating processor will generally either 1 - Burn out or 2 - Not reboot until it is cooled down. The poster did not mention not being able to reboot.

Of course this does not rule it out entirely but I did say "It wont be your graphics card, or overheating if everything is new and you have built it right". Dust and so forth should not be a factor if his computer is new, and from previous threads I have seen it seems to me he has just built this system, all though I could be wrong.

COD2 is very Graphics Intensive game, I dont believe he would be in the game for more than 20 seconds without it crashing if it was his card. Also the same would be said for his CPU. Yet again I say this is not a guide merely my own professional opinion from what I have seen. Generally a crash will most likely occur at random intervals when either the fault lies with the memory or the motherboard, or in this case possibly both.

The reason I say this is because it seems his computer is relatively stable apart from when under heavy load (online gaming) the system crashes. Now first instict would point to the graphics card, but if what I believe is true and that it is brand new then its highly unlikely. It could be something as simple as drivers. But looking at the history of Venice Processors and budget motherboards its something that really has to be taken into consideration before anything else because its effects are random but also very wide-spread.

I suggest he updates the BIOS and makes sure he is using the latest ATI Drivers (or rather ones that are pre-tested by other COD:2 gamers and are working fine).
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

My x800 pro kept doing odd things on screen untill i found out it was the temprature of it. I just put a new fan in there and now its all cold
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

@ Fearfactor

Wow must have took like an hour to write that reply, judging by the time Tongue

Thanks for the link, i previously had no idea of this problem. Hopefully it will just be a case of changing to CAS 3 instead of doing a bios update.
Community Veteran

X800GT games freeze up

Regarding 1T/2T have a look at this thread in relation to the Epox and the venice processor
N/A

X800GT games freeze up

windows come up with this
c:/docume~\bob\local\temp\wer1b8s.dir00\min02210601-dmp
c:/docume~temp\wer1b85.dir00\sysdata.xml

its not the cpu the hdd go to 50c some times the cpu running games 37c befor i installed the x800gt i had a x700se 256mb card and that worked ok so i hope all of can help me get this sorted

there is 4 graphic cards i can get if this card is not compatible let me know the best 1 to useHuh
sapphire rx1300 geforce 6600 or 6600gt or6600le
Community Veteran

X800GT games freeze up

Going back to my original response. One of the fundamental differences between the X700se and the X850GT is the maximum power demand. I don't have any information on the X700se but this is a lower spec version of the X700 (and from the information available probably uses about 5 watts less). I would estimate that the X800GT uses about 16 watts more than the X700SE which is about 1.5 amps on the 12 volt rail taking into account the efficiency of the system.
I don't have any experience with the Ezcool psu's but a quick price check and search indicates that they are right at the bottom end of the market and in my opinion shouldn't even be considered for a top flight gaming rig.