cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work related - Network drives not accessible ?

N/A

Hi thier

We have 3 DC all using the class a IP range with one dhcp scope

Basicaly users can now and then canot access network drives...we have to do either ipconfig release/renew to fix it up or just restart machine if user does not have access to the run command...is thier anything ineed to have a look at to get this liittle bug sorted? We have users on static IP and they seem to have this same problem too...

please advice
5 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Normally when an SP is not available, the first thing I'd be checking for was the user was logged on to the SP with valid cred's - obviously you've done this.

Have you ran monitor utils on the shares (on the client and server) to see if there's any traffic/comms that could be causing it? (unlikely but possible)
N/A

would you know how i can run or test that?

IVe checked the abovios stuffs and cant seem to find any solution...we keep have to tell users to restart machines and only handful we can say do ipconfig renew...me the admin have to do this every 2 days Evil
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Have this run on a dedicated machine, or the server - set to monitor in realtime, the locations set to share.

http://freeware.it-mate.co.uk/?Editors_Choice&pid=140
Total_Chaos
Dabbler

How are the network drives setup? If it's done in a login script it's possible that the user is not connecting properly and the script is not running. If they are not connecting then it's also possible that they are not connecting to the dhcp server. Also if you are using XP then if the drives are shown in "my computer" , but disconnected you can click on the drive or right click and then click on connect.
N/A

Have you restarted the actual domain server?

Maybe a simple restarting of all services related on this pc is all that is necessary. That is of course if you are running on a domain and not a workgroup!!!

Maybe permissions have become corrupt or reset on the server!? Or it could have become infected. Might be worth running ewido. I did have an immense problem with our stock control server getting films sent to it. One pc on the vpn kept a continuous open session. Running ewido through that pc cured the lot.

then again, I may be just going slightly overboard!