cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word 97 Problem and Minor XP problem

penneck
Grafter

At about the start of this year I had a problem on my pc (OS Win XP Pro) with Word 97. About 20 secs after opening Word, Word would say it had done something wrong and would have to shut down. I asked the forum about a solution, and had many replies (thankyou all), but I only solved the problem this week. Reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling XP and Office 97 got rid of the crashing BUT now when I open an existing file by clicking on it in Windows Explorer, Word asks if I want to revert to the saved version of whatever the file was called. In all the years I've used Word 97, I've never seen this before. Any suggestions please as to how to get rid of this irritant?

Also the re-installation has got rid of the pc's ability to power off when I tell XP to shut down. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks

Grumpy
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Whenever word opens a document, it also opens a temp file of a similar name in the same folder (first 2 chars are changed to ~$), this is where word writes the changes to the file as you make them. When you save the changes the original file is updated and the temp file deleted.

If word or your system crash for any reason, the temp file with your changes is left behind. When you try to open the same file later, word looks to see if there is a temp file and if there is, it assumes a problem occured and you are asked if you want to read the temp file containing your most recent changes prior to the crash.

To stop this happening look for any ~$..... files and delete them. Note: I use work 2003, word97 may use a different temp file name. Just create a new .doc file with text in it, close it then re-open it and look in the same folder for similar named files.

Can't help with the second problem but a google search on shutdown problems may find the solution.
penneck
Grafter

Thankyou Peter. As you suggested, Google provided the power off answer. Unfortunately, the Word problem continues. I tried creating and saving a new Word doc, then reopening it and deleting the ~$-version, but it had no effect on being asked if I wanted to revert to the saved version the next time I reopened the file.

Thanks for trying.
Community Veteran

Do a full disk search for files starting with ~$. It may be saving the temp files elsewhere which you need to delete.
Rich
Grafter

Do you have a (or have you had) an HP printer?

If so, this may be where the problem lies. Some programs, inc. Word, Excel & AutoRoute + others, seem to look for the default printer settings shortly after they start. If the printer is not available, then the print driver crashes, taking Word etc down with it. If you look at the details of the failing module, its name will start with 'HP' and end '.DLL'.

One work around is to add a 'Generic/Generic Text Only' printer, then set this as the default.

Regards
Richard
penneck
Grafter

Peter,

I did the full disk search for files beginning ~$, but found nothing. Having a Word doc open creates a ~$-version of the same file (it shows up in Win Explorer), but at the same time, a search for anything created that day only shows the original file, not the ~$-version. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion - it was worth trying.

Ryton

This problem with Word only started after I had reformatted the disk, and reinstalled both XP and Office 97. My understanding of reformatting is that it wipes everything but partitions off the disk. Therefore, the old HP printer drivers I had loaded before the reformat should have been wiped. Unless either XP or Office put HP files on the disk, I dont see how HP drivers can be causing the problem. Anyway, just in case, I did a search on the full disk for files starting with HP in their names. The result was loads and loads of files - I can only assume loaded by XP.

Thanks for your help.
OldDave
Grafter

pacem
Grafter

or this
http://www.openoffice.org/
:-)

Paul.<><
penneck
Grafter

The Microsoft support kb/200915 solved the Word problem. My thanks to Hollj for providing the solution, and for everyone for their suggestions.