Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word 2000 crashing machine

greg16
Grafter

Hi ALL,

hoping someone can help me.
I have office 2003 and everytime i open Word and start typing my machine crashes. My monitor either displays a scrambled page or switches of. This sometimes happens when im not using word but i think it must word trying to do something in the background like connect to microsoft.
I have started to use outlook and it was by default setup to use word as my editor, and again as soon as i started to type in the body of the e-mail, my mashine would crash.
When i unticked the option, mail worked no problems without crashing. switched word back on as editor again and machine crashed.
I have bot the CD in agian to try and repair it but it still does it. Have downloaded the latest downloads from microsoft aswell.
5 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

Re: Word 2000 crashing machine

...and start typing my machine crashes. My monitor either displays a scrambled page or switches of...

If you are fully patched up and virus free, I would suspect this was due to driver issues. The problem is connected to Word, outlook literally runs the Word engine if you choose the option.

If you don't experience problems in other applications, it would suggest a printer driver issue. Word uses the printer driver extensively in order to determine how to display it's documents. A printer driver refresh/update or reinstall certainly wouldn't hurt.

If problems exist to a lesser extent in other applications, it might point to a display driver issue.

However, all said and done, it would be easier to diagnose knowing exactly what the symptoms are:-

"machine crashes" - Does it 'blue screen'? If so, what are the details on the blue screen.
"scrambled page" - Try to describe it.
"monitor switches off" - Does the PC switch off too?
N/A

Its all ways worth deleting normal.dot as that is often the problem. Search the hard drive for normal.dot and delete them all. You often find a few so its worth checking. Word will create a new one when it starts so give it a go.
greg16
Grafter

hi mwright - read that somewhere else and searched the system for it. PC couldn't find taht file anywhere.

hi spare - don't get the fatail blue screen. the scrambled page is hard to explain, its like a section of the page taht has just repeated itself all over and freezes. machine is stil running but i think it is the machine that freezes and the monitor just doesnt detect a connection. u can still hear the pc running but won't do anything.

i thought it was a graphic driver problem before, tried updating the driver for my graphics but didn't stop it.
i have a printer connected to machine just now but it was doing for months b4 i connected it
holdtight
Grafter

hi mwright - read that somewhere else and searched the system for it. PC couldn't find taht file anywhere

You can find it using windows explorer here

C:\Documents and settings\ your username \ application data \ microsoft \Templates

Just delete it then reboot open word again and it will be recreated

Bill.
greg16
Grafter

hi all,

thanks for your help. deleted those files and now word works great without crashing and outlook