cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't boot after power surge

N/A

A while ago I had a power surge which took out my motherboard and CPU on one computer and I think it did the same to the other computer. It was a MSI 6378 v2 motherboard with a Athlon 1.13Ghz CPU. I found a replacement CPU Athlon 1.2Ghz and tried that. It didn't work so I got hold of a MSI 6378 v3 board and tried both the CPUs and again it failed. I have swopped the memory and the PSU too but now I am really stuck. I have tried every combination but can't get that initial beep sound when it boots up. Any clues?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

A problem one this? Sad

If you do have access to another "Working" PC of similar spec then you could try using each of the components from the dead one to see which one(s) stop it in its tracks. Smiley
N/A

Does the power supply work ie does the HD etc fire UP? If it doesnt try touching the power lead on the mb(NOT THE MAINS POWER) to see if it starts.

Does the cpu fan spin? If that doesnt work a lot of boards wont fire up to protect the cpu.

You need to try with the min so just the MB CPU power supply and 1 stick of ram and see if you get any video. Dont attach USB etc.
N/A

PSU is fine
CPU fan is fine
HD, CD and floppy drive comes on

I don't have a working model of a similar PC unfortunatley. But I have just connected the essentials to see where is falls over. Can't be certain that the chip is perfect as the one off ebay was sold as "not tested". I had a simialr problem a few years ago booting on another computer where it never got past the initial beep. This turned out to be memory. I have 2 sticks so would be very unlucky to find that both are duff. May go searching for a CPU on ebay again or forget it all and buy a new PC for Mum
N/A

ok quick checks to go through

1. is everything seated in ok
2. do any lights come on the motherboard if there are any
3. does the CPU fan spin up?

answer those 3 first

secondly make sure the new board is not set to CMOS clear! also clear the cmos once forst
N/A

1. Yes, double and triple checked this
2. no lights on this one I'm afraid
3. Yes

Have cleared CMOS and put jumper back to normal
N/A

U tried removing the modem (if one is present)..... fried modems often cause a pc not to POST/Power

When stripping all components do you get any beeps, Also are you using a graphics card which is used throughout the testing?
N/A

ok so the power supply is working

can you remove all the non essential components as above. the best idea would be to remove the motherboard etc from the case and lay it on something on conductive. I.E a cardboard box. try and power the machine up when it isnt in the case.

another common issue is shorting across the motherboad on the case. also have a look for any browned looking pcb as it could e burnt out. anything that is will smell like candles just after they have been blown out!
N/A

Remove 20/24pin power connector from the motherboard. Reconnect and it will work fine. At least thats the case with mine when it does that. If youv'e changed motherboards though then im not quite sure where the problem could lie.