cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless routers

N/A

Wireless routers

Can anyone recommend a reliable and easy to set up wireless router so I can access my Broadband connection (presently set up on my desktop computer) from my laptop. The desktop is brand new and has 802.11g capability built in but my laptop has a basic spec. I believe I need a PMCIA card for the laptop and a wireless router to allow the laptop to access my broadband connection from another room. I believe Superspeed booster systems are now available in cards and routers, Netgear and Linksys for example but any feedback or recommendations on these or other systems and their costs.?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless routers

I have the NetGear DG834G combined ADSL modem, router (with 4 LAN ports), and, 802.11b/g wireless access point which I got from dabs with a free PCMCIA card for about £95. The router also comes with a LAN cable and an ADSL filter.

The router was fairly easy to set up as it "autodetected" the ADSL settings. The default settings seemed reasonable and I was up and running within 5 minutes of opening the box. The only changes I have made, as far as I can remember, were to disable SSID broadcast, enable WPA security, disable uPNP, and, set a different administrator password.

The router reports "weak signal" downstairs but still connects at 54Mbps so it may just be being cautious. The only problem I have noticed is that one or twice the ADSL router has been disconnected when I turned the PC on and has not automatically connected. I've had to logon to the router and manually disconnect and then reconnect.
Community Veteran

Wireless routers

Another one to consider is the Linksys WAG54G. It has a similar spec to the DG834G.
Community Veteran

Wireless routers

Check out;
http://www.adslguide.org/reviews/

Once you have an idea of which router you are interested in I recommend having a look on the forums @
http://www.expansys.com/forumoverviewman.asp
That will show you the questions that current users are asking.

Chilly
N/A

wireless routers

Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.
Much appreciated
Bald Eagle
Community Veteran

Wireless routers

One more tip, do not forget to secure your wireless network.