cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless routers pros, cons, advice

N/A

I've got a second PC (allbeit a shite spec) but I'd like to hook it up and share my bb connection so the old dear can use it etc. Problem is the other PC is downstairs and I don't fancy drapping cables down to it.

I'm definitley getting a combined router/modem of some description as I have a cheap internal DSL modem atm, but what about wireless routers? I presume that it plugs into the main pc on the network and plugs into the phone point then it sends out signals to the receiving pc's?
(don't really know how it all works btwWink)

So what do you guys/ladies/hens/cats think about em? whats the best speed I will achieve out of one? bare in mind the other PC is down stairs, and any recommendations on make/model? Also if you don't think wireless isn't worth it right now please state the best combined router/modem for 80-100 pounds please.

Thankyou!
6 REPLIES
N/A

take a look at the Netgear DG834G. It's a combined router/modem/hub and wireless access point

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php?view=
N/A

DG834 also has a proper firewall (Stateful packet Inspection) as well as NAT.
Community Veteran

Wireless is ideal for your situation but I would suggest at least one PC is directly connected via an ethernet cable to enable easy config and firmware updates. Some wireless routers require this (the DG834G is one) and it makes setting up much simpler.

A remote PC requires a wireless PCI card or a wireless USB device which contains a radio transmitter/receiver that communicates with the base station (the router) which in turn then gives access to the net.. An example PCI card is : WG311 or for USB WG121. There are alternative products from other manufacturers like linksys, d-link plus many others.

The above wireless router supports 802.11g which is a 54Mbits/s transmit/receive speed which is way above what your ADSL speed is so you will not notice any communication slowdown when using it.

The writeless communication can also be encrypted so no outside snooping can be done.

I hope that gives enough info for you to consider this method of setting up a home network.
N/A

ta for your replies dudes but I think I'm going to plump for the DG834, I know its not wireless but its a nice bundle and I have read a good review on it, i'll just have to cope with the wires. Smiley
N/A

Re

I use a BT Voyager wireless router/modem which has served us with no problems. The main PC sits up in the loft room connected by cable to the modem/router and the laptop mainly sits 2 floors below. The laptop works all over the house wirelessly aswell as into the garden. Bit cold for that now.
N/A

sheesh, look how things turn out, I've ordered a D-Link ethernet modem for my main pc and I may buy a wireless or wired router to link them.