cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless networking file sharing

N/A

I've got 2 computers connected by wireless through a belkin wireless modem/router. I can't make the network setup wizard put them into the same workgroup so that I can share files between them using drag and drop in windows explorer. I can access each computer from a shortcut on the desktop, but I really wanted to set them up so that they both appear in my network places. When I run the wizard, it runs for about 5 seconds and says it's done, but when I go to entire network it only shows the computer it's running on. This is the same on both machines. I haven't set up a network through a router before so I may well be missing something obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, John Taylor.
7 REPLIES
N/A

right click my computer -> advanced -> computer name ->"change"

set it there, and never use wizards!
N/A

Sorry, must be having a bad day. Tried right click My Computer, no sign of advanced anywhere. What do you want me to set ?
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

its under properties
N/A

Thanks for that, but I don't want to rename the computer. I just want to make the shortcut to the other computer on the network appear in My Network Places.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

In those properties, you can rename the computer aswell as rename the domain or workgroup it's on.

You can keep the same name, but change the Workgroup to something relevant like "Workgroup" on both systems.
N/A

Gave it up as a bad job in the end. Sold all the wireless crap and set it all up as a wired network through a gigabit network switch and a 10/100 modem/router. It's running at 1,000 mbps and the files really fly around. Everything appears where I wanted it to in Network places and I can use drag and drop, which is what I was after in the first place. I also used the wizards and didn't have a single problem.
Regards and thanks for the advice, John Taylor.
N/A

I'm not too keen on the wizards, I think they're lame.

I'd prefer to always config it manually, as you know what's going on and what's been set etc.

Anyways, glad to hear you've got yourself all set up Smiley