cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless keyboard/mouse probs.

N/A

Bought myself a MS Wireless Kbd/Mouse some time ago and have finally given up on the keyboard although the mouse is OK.

Just wondered if anybody else has had problems and if so how it was solved.

I'm sure that it's WInXP that's the trouble as it works perfectly if I boot with an old Win98 boot disk.

Symptoms are that it will work for so long and then some or all keys stop responding. Usually happens as I try to fill in a field such as a password or URL.

GA
6 REPLIES
N/A

Some or all keys stop working Huh
I have had full lock-ups on keyboards (wireless or not) but never when random keys stop working.
Sounds more like the "keyboard matrix" chip in the keyboard is faulty or you have a sticking key on one of the matrices.

:lol:
N/A

Wireless keyboard/mouse probs

Does everything work okay with a normal keyboard? It seems strange that some of the keys stop working.
Have you installed the MS Software for it, does it work any better in XP with or without it? It would be very unusual (even for MS) to develop a product thats has compatability issues with Win XP. Maybe worth trying MS support, or here...
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/keyboard/setup.asp

Have u tried the following (some of it a obvious)...
- Batteries in keyboard are okay?
- Press the Connect buttons on keyboard / reciever (and hold both at same time)
- I've sometimes found that the location of the reciever upsets the keyboard, moving it away form other electrical equiptment, and not too close to the keyboard helps for me.

Hope some of this helps, sounds like a frustrating problem!
N/A

Re: Wireless keyboard/mouse probs

[snip]
Have u tried the following (some of it a obvious)...
- Batteries in keyboard are okay?
- Press the Connect buttons on keyboard / reciever (and hold both at same time)
[snip]

Yes tried all the suggestions - I've just done a clean install of XP and it was OK at first. Before I did the install, I was booting with a Win98 floppy to fdisk and format etc. in preparation and the keyboard worked perfectly in DOS without any special drivers.

The first signs I had were when filling in some Reg Details as I was installing stuff. I'd type a few chars in and then input would stop. Sometimes after a wait of 10/20 secs I could type a few more chars in but eventually it would just stop responding.

Using my old keyboard now but still with the w/less mouse.

I'm wondering if I've got some sort of hardware fault on my system.

I'll go away and have a look at the MS Site that was suggested.
GA
N/A

I have known this to happen, but not on wireless devices.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

From what I experienced, it was a timing issue from the keyboard. Windows is well known to not react well when a keyboard is unplugged (other OS's will let you unplug and plug back in).

DO you have the connector to the computer going through any other device (pass-through - SOmthign like a multi-button joystick).
N/A

[snip] What motherboard and CPU do you have?

From what I experienced, it was a timing issue from the keyboard. Windows is well known to not react well when a keyboard is unplugged (other OS's will let you unplug and plug back in).

DO you have the connector to the computer going through any other device (pass-through - SOmthign like a multi-button joystick).[snip]

Not certain about the Model - it is identified as a Gigabyte and AmiBios Vers62710 by the utility I've got. AMD Thunderbird 950Mhz.

I've just re-installed Intellitype and also dl'd and installed the latest Via 4in1 drivers.

I re-connected it and , fingers crossed - it seems OK at the mo. I'll see how it goes.
GA
Community Veteran

Hmm.... I had this problem with the M$ Cordless Optical Desktop bundle, and it turned out that the transceiver didn't like to be sitting near my tower.

Thomas