cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless home network setup problem

N/A

I recently got a new wireless enabled laptop (XP Home SP2). My desktop (XP Pro SP2) is connected to a Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router using an ethernet cable. I have no problem connecting to the Internet with either machine, but can't get them to talk to one another. If I browse the network on my laptop I see both machines listed in the workgroup in Explorer, on the desktop machine I can't see the laptop. When I double click the desktop computer icon on the laptop it pauses for a while and then I get the following message:

\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Does anyone know what I am missing here?
5 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Have you set up the shares on the desktop PC? By default drives are not shared. Right click C: drive, go to "Sharing and security", then "sharing" tab and make sure "share this folder" is selected. Where it says "Share name" it might say "C$" - you need to change this to "C" for it to work.

Denzil
N/A

Yes I did. But I didn't share the full drive, just certain folders and my printer as well. And I have shared folders on the laptop as well, but the laptop icon doesn't even show up when I view the workgroup from the Desktop.
fastpipe
Grafter

Yes I did. But I didn't share the full drive, just certain folders and my printer as well. And I have shared folders on the laptop as well, but the laptop icon doesn't even show up when I view the workgroup from the Desktop.

I presume that your Desktop machine is called 'Desktop' so in theory just going to \\Desktop should work. Are you using a firewall such as zonealarm or even Windows built in firewall? If you have a firewall(s) try turning it off then try to connect to the Desktop machine again from your laptop, Then if it works you know the firewall is at fault and should only take a few minutes to fix Smiley
Midville
Grafter

When I first set mine up, I had the same problem. It was due to the fact that my firewall was'nt setup correctly. Works fine now...... hope you sort your problem out soon.
N/A

Damn, I feel like such a fool! lol I don't know why I never even though tabout checking my firewall settings. Thanks guys Shockedops: Cheesy