cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connecting but can't ping my router

N/A

I'm having problems getting my wireless connection to work again.

It used to work fine (assuming I stopped the Wireless Zero Service once I'd connected). It seems to have stopped working since I connected to a wireless network in a hotel lobby I was in a week or so ago.

My router dynamically assigns an IP address in the 10.0.0.* range with default gateway 10.0.0.2 and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. However, when I do an ipconfig /all my wireless connection has a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, DHCP enabled, Autoconfiguration Enabled and an Autoconfiguration IP Address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx.

The wireless network is detected and all seems fine but obviously I can't ping my router or do anything basically.

I have tried:
- assigning a static IP address, DNS server and default gateway but it doesn't work
- doing an ipconfig /release * and ipconfig /renew *. Doesn't make any difference
- unistalling the network card and reinstalling it. Doesn't make any difference

If I search the registry for the 169.* then I find a bunch of entries.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong or how I go about getting the wireless adaptor to forget about the 169.* network?

Thanks!
Marcus
6 REPLIES
N/A

Are you able to configure the router wirelessly? or do you have to connect your machine directly to it?
N/A

No - I have to connect via ethernet in order to configure the router. Wirelessly I cannot even ping the router at all....
N/A

Is your router assigning your IP addres or have you configured it?
N/A

It's set to auto assign an IP address - this has worked previously. My other computer (which is connected via ethernet to the router) gets assigned an IP fine. If I plug my laptop in via ethernet that gets an IP address assigned but nothing with wireless...

MW
N/A

the 169.* address is what windows defaults to if it can get a dhcp address, try givinig if a high static ip address eg 10.0.0.100 and subnet mask of 255 dont forget to add dns servers.
N/A

The fact your PC is not getting an IP from the router, also means the router doesn't see the PC.

How far apart is the router and the computer?