cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless access problem

N/A

Wireless access problem

Wonder if anyone can help solve this.

I run my Plus Net ADSL into a router, and have a couple fo PCs normally connected to PN through this router, via CAT5 cable. Occasionally I bring the work laptop home and that joins in the party, also via CAT5. On Friday I got hold of a Netgear ME102 wireless access point, which didn't take any effort to configure as an extension to the LAN. It's plugged into the router and allows my laptop (XP Pro, SP2, on a domain) to connect via wireless with no problems Browsing the net, VPN to work, all is fine and exactly as it was on the CAT5.

Mrs RoweC1 also has a work laptop, from her place of work - same thing - XP Pro SP2, but no ethernet NIC, only wireless. Try as I might I can't get it to connect to the internet through the access point. It does connect to the AP (if I set the alternate IP settings) but I can't get to the net, or even ping the router (10.0.0.2) from it. As far as I can tell all of its settings are per my own laptop. It's not a firewall issue. I've tried it with the router and XP firewalls disabled but no joy. I'm narrowing it down to a domain issue, but can't put my finger on it. Any ideas out there?

Many thanks.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless access problem

It must have a ip in the same range ie 10.0.0.8 it must have the same subnet ie 255.255.255.0 and it must have the default gateway as the routers ip ie 10.0.0.2.

That said it should work unless it shows 2 network connection. On some wireless cards it has 2 conections and you have to create a bridge between them(not seen many but they are out there). If you stilll cant get it to work post the results of ipconfig /all for both pc's
N/A

Wireless access problem

Thank for the reply. As stated - all relevant IP settings look ok - both have default gateway set to 10.0.0.2, mask is 255.0.0.0 on both, my laptop picks up 10.0.0.13; the other is set to 10.0.0.14 (tcp/ip properties > Alternate Network).

My laptop

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WL
AN Mini-PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : < snip >
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.13
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 May 2005 09:40:37
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 May 2005 09:40:37

Other (non-connecting) laptop
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ORiNOCO WIRELESS LAN CARD 5V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : < snip >
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

There's an option to bridge if I select the active connection, but an alert box informs me that two non ICS connections must be selected. The option isn't available if more than one network connection is selected (but the other is a dial up, labelled Do Not Remove and of no consequence here). The wireless AP is connected (on both machines), just can't see the network on the scond laptop.

Wierd
N/A

Wireless access problem

Ha - result!!!

Realised that the older machine probably didn't support 128 bit WEP; downgraded to 64 bit to see if that was the problem, and Robert does indeed turn out to be Old Pa Rowec1's brother.

Both laptops are now on-line.

Thanks for the assistance though.

Smiley