cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network File Sharing Problem

penneck
Grafter

I have two pcs connected via a Netgear Wireless DG834G Modem/Router. One had Win 98SE on it, and was hardwired to the router, the other had WinXP Pro and was wireless linked to the router. They were both able to access the Internet, and they could access each others shareable files. Then I had a problem with the Win XP Pro, and had to re-install it.

Since then, both pcs have been able to access the Internet, but they cannot see each other. If I ping from one pc to the other, the test is successful, no matter which pc I ping from. On both pcs, I have set the shareable property up to and including the drive, but still Network Neighbour cannot see anything on the network other than the pc that I am using Network Neighbour on. It sees the network "MSHOME", and the local shareable folders, but nothing remote.

I have the Win XP Firewall turned off, but have Zone Alarm on both pcs.

All suggestions wil be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Graham
10 REPLIES
henderson1977
Grafter

1. Are both PCs on the same network, i.e. MSHOME?
2. Can you UNC to a network share from the Run prompt, e.g. START --> RUN --> enter \\PCname\ShareName\ ?
3. Does disabling Zonealarm (for the time being) help?
4. Do you need to re-configure NTFS/share permissions?

Scott
N/A

Hi

I don't know if this will help but if you are using the free zonealarm it will not support networking I found this out by my own experience you need a firewall that wil let you put the computers in the 'trusted zone'

Matt
penneck
Grafter

Matt,

I had the full system working with the free Zone Alarm on both, and had no problems. It has only been since I re-installed XP that this problem has occurred.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep it in mind, just in case .

Graham
penneck
Grafter

Scott,

I tried your suggestions. I didn't understand suggestion number 4, numptie that I am, and suggestion number 3 caused the wireless link to go so badly wrong, I had to re-install the wireless software.

However, there was partial success with Suggestion 2. Network Neighbour on the Win98 pc identified its name, so using suggestion 3 on the Win XP pc resulted in me being able to see the shared files on the Win 98 pc. When I tried the same from the Win 98 pc, it failed. I don't know whether or not I was using the correct name for the Win XP pc, Win XP doesn't have Network Neighbour like Win 98, so I had to try to find the name using Network Connection. This gave me what I thought I put in as the pc name and the description when installing the Wireless Link software. I tried each separately, and in combination, but no go. I'm sort of stuck now, unless I can find a way of identifying what the two pcs think the Win XP pc is called.

Anyway, thankyou for your help.

Regards

Graham
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi Graham, are you sure both machines are on the same network, e.g. MSHOME?

If so, it could be a name resolution issue. So I would connect to each PC using the IP address.

To get the IP address from the Win98 PC:
1. Click START, then RUN
2. Type in command and press enter. A DOS window should open at a command prompt
3. Type in winipcfg and press enter. Make a note of the IP address.

To get the IP address from the WinXP PC:
1. Click START, then RUN
2. Type in cmd and press enter. A DOS window should open at a command prompt
3. Type in ipconfig and press enter. Make a note of the IP address.

Now you have the IP address for both PCs, connect from the WinXP PC to the Win98 PC via IP address. For example:

If the IP address of the Win98 PC is 192.168.1.2 and you know there is a share on this PC called "photos", enter the following at the RUN prompt:

\\192.168.1.2\photos

If this doesn't work, verify that the WinXP PC can talk with the Win98 PC, by pinging it, i.e. the IP address above.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Scott
penneck
Grafter

Scott,

I have confirmed that one pc has IP address 192.168.0.2, and the other has the address 192.168.0.3. On the ...0.3 pc, I used "Start/Run" and typed in "\\192.168.0.2" - it opened a window showing the shared directories on the ....0.2 pc. However, when I tried a similar thing in the opposite direction, changing the IP address accordingly, I got two messages:-

On the sending pc, I got the message "\\192.168.0.3 The network name cannot be found".

On the receiving pc, I got a Zone Alarm Security Alert (a red-coloured window), which said something reasonably similar to "The firewall has
stopped an internet access from 192.168.0.1"

Also, in case its a clue to the problem, my access to the Internet across the wireless link is a lot slower than access across the hard-wired link.

It's got a lot of computer whiz-kids at work stumped, so I'll doff my hat to the person who comes up with the magic answer.

Regards

Graham
N/A

On the 98 create a new user with the same name and password as the admin user on the xp pc and try again when your logged in as that user.

The error show the firewall is blocking the pc so you need to open the firewall for the local network
penneck
Grafter

Thankyou mwright.

I'm a little puzzled by your instructions. In the case where there is a Firewall Security Alert, that alert comes up on the XP pc, not the 98 pc - the 98 is the sender of the "Run/Start \\192.168.0.3" command, the XP is the receiver.

Also, I dont have accounts on either pc, I just boot up both, and away we go (or not, in the case of them talking to each other). How would logging in on the 98 with the same name and password as the XP admin get round the problem of the firewall on the XP?

Regards

Graham
henderson1977
Grafter

When the firewall on the XP PC fires up, can you not just "accept" the connection? This will allow future connections without prompting you to accept or reject. If you have already rejected the connection, you should be able to add the IP address of the 98 PC in the exceptions list within the firewall settings.

Let me know how you get on.

Ta
Scott
penneck
Grafter

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend suggested that I did the following:-

1. before I turned on the pc that is on the wireless link, disconnect the USB dongle that is used as the wireless transceiver;
2. turn on the pc;
3. when the pc has completed booting up, open Zone Alarm and remove from its firewall anything that has an IP Address that begins 192.168;
4. set Zone Alarm working;
5. reconnect the USB dongle and leave Zone Alarm to "find it".

I did this, Zone Alarm added the other pc as a trusted site (it was before, but something wasn't happy somewhere), and Hey Presto! I can now communicate in either direction between the two pcs.

Who would have guessed at that as a solution? I certainly would not have done so.

My grateful thanks to everyone who made suggestions, whether their
suggestions did the trick or not.

Graham