cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network Card & Security

N/A

I see there is already a thread about "Wireless Security", but at the moment that on-going discussion is way over my head.

My situation is:I have a D-link DI-614+ wireless router, and yesterday bought a D-Link DWL-G650 wireless network card (or Cardbus Adaptor as it says on the box) for my wifes Laptop, and I must say it was easy to install and it works perfectly for what she requires, namely web browsing and e-mails,no file or printer sharing is required at the moment.

I notice by looking through the setting in the utilities programme that it sets itself up as "infrastructure" under "wireless mode" by default, and reading through the other discussion it seems to me: that means that it can only communicate with a router,if that means just my router or any router I do not know ......... is that correct, and if so is that all the security that is needed for what she wishes to use it for?

I am asking because at the moment enabling encryption seems a bit more complicated than I thought because at the moment if I enable encryption on either the router or wireless card or both; the card loses connection.I suspect the secret lies in the "keys" in that after selecting a "key length" (at the moment set to 64 by default) I would need to enter a password on either the card or router or perhaps both?

Hope that makes sense

Ian & Linda Jordan
11 REPLIES
N/A

The encryption should be fairly straight forward to set up. The DI-614+ supports 802.11b (not g) so it probably only supports WEP encryption.

The encryption requires a "shared key" between the client and the router; this is the password that you need to enter. You will need to set this to the same value and key size on both the router and the laptop.

The laptop card is an 802.11g card and so probably supports WPA and WEP - choose the 802.11B/WEP option in the configuration program and enter the same key taht you set on the router.
Generally, you can enter the key as a string or a series of hex characters - the hex string may be less prone to mistakes.
N/A

Generally, you can enter the key as a string or a series of hex characters - the hex string may be less prone to mistakes.

Thanks for the reply it explained everything nicely.

It I may clarify something about the quoted text: "hex charactors" sounds complicated but am I correct in thinking that it is really as simple as selecting the "hex" option in the router and laptop and entering something along the lines of "123456" as long as it is the same in both router and laptop or is there more to it than that.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Update

Yes it would apparently seem enabling encryption is relatively simple, as I think I now have 128 bit encryption running.

But one thing I would like to know: is it a complete "leap of faith" or is there a way of confirming that everything running between router and laptop and back is actually encrypted.My particular concern is when my wife is connected to our online banking.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

been looking this up, and I can't find anything to say how to make sure, so I guess that it is a 'leap of faith' as you put it Sad

what worries me is that when I right click the green computer icon with the antenna sticking out (Netgear MA401), WEP Encryption is greyed out............ when connecting, it has the Yellow W over, if I am quick enough to catch it, it gives an error about data frames error check WEP Encryption settings, then goes green, and all is well.

Now I know that this card is old, I've had it for well over a year, got it cheap with the access point and a usb adaptor, as the owner moved into a farm, and it wouldn't work coz the walls were too thick Smiley

gonna get a LinkSys 54G card morrow, to make sure it isn't a netgear/linksys incompatibility, and will post findings once done.
N/A

well... found this

Net Stumbler

according to that, the access is point is WEP enabled.... which i spose is a good thing
N/A

Thanks folks for your help it is appreciated.

One more dumb question;then I think I can put the lid on this one.

If my wife is at a "Wi-Fi hot-spot" in a hotel for example; will she be able to log onto Plusnet,or if she is going mobile would she need to sign up with a "Wi-Fi" ISP if there is such a thing?

Thanks again

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

If the hotel has a WiFi router then she should be able to connect to that once they have given her the appropriate SSID, WEP/WPA encryption, and, shared key values. On the driver for my wireless card you can set up a number of profiles one for each WiFi network that you connect to. So it should simply be a matter of creating a new profile setting the SSID, WPA/WEP, and, key values.
You can then select the network that you want to connect to.
This would allow here to browse the internet; sending/receiving mail is another problem.

She should be able to use Outlook to receive her plusNet mail but because she is on the hotel's network when she connects to the plusNet SMTP server it will not allow here to send mail. She would have to get the hotel's SMTP server name and specify this in the outlook account details in order to send mail. Or use the WebMail.

plusNet's SMTP server claims to support authentication, which is what you would need in order to get send mail working, however it rejects requests when you attempt to use it. One of the plusNet techies would need to confirm if there was another way to do this.
N/A

OK thanks...... but things like AOL Instant Messenger etc would be ok? mail would not be a major problem as I could collect that for her from home.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

You can find out an SSID and geographical location of an AP before you leave at the following URL's:

http://www.btopenzone.co.uk/locations/

http://www.hotspotter.co.uk/directories/

I've noticed UK hotspots charge for access, but many European/Mid East hotels are free. Personally I think it should be free, if you've already paid for a room for the night?

Edited due to wrong grammer! LOL
N/A

Thanks globaleyes
for an extemely useful couple of url's
(now bookmarked)

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

nah no change with the new card... well... other than faster file transfers between pcs lol Smiley

spoke to some of the lads at work, and it seems to be the same on theirs... I guess it really is a leap of faith :shock:

as for the greyed out options... well... it would seem that when u tell it that windows will configure the settings... it's greyed out, otherwise it is fine.... however... for some strange reason, I can not get windows to configure it again lol Shockedops: