cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network BT Voyager 2100 problem

N/A

I'm having a wireless network problem, just bought a Amilo Pro V2010 laptop and wanted to hook up my desktop in one room and share the broadband connection with the laptop via wireless network. I went for the BT Voyager 2100 Wireless Home Network Package for PC/Laptops which came with the cards for the laptop and pc.

This is what I did, followed the instructions for the router and turned it on , the lights came on like it said so thought that was ok, then drivers for the laptop and inserted card, got it to recognize the card and connect to network. Then drivers for the pc card and inserted that, only no signal to begin with. So I got the router brought in the room with my PC and suddenly got the signal, but the laptop in the livingroom which is only 15 metres away with thinish walls and doors open lost its signal, so brought the laptop into the same room and managed after playing about reseting the damn router which constantly kept for some reason losing the signals on the desktop even though it was in the same room, managed to connect to my broadband connection, it was slow as hell though like dialup took the laptop back into the livingroom it lost its signal again and then the desktop stoped loading internet.

What I wanted to ask, am I missing something here or is it a faulty router I have, it was so frustrating as took about three hours to operating then such weak signals, and cutting out all the time the internet connection.

Please help anyone who knows about networking, I've contacted BT to give us a replacement but beginning to think it may just be not a very good product, it states that its 50 metres indoors range and its fast and powerful which I'm certainly not finding.

Philip
3 REPLIES
N/A

Similar problem with BT voyager 2100 supplied by plusnet as part of new user wireless network hardware bundle. PC in study area app 8m from router in kitchen with admittedly thick wall between. Initial signal strength for about 5 mins was good but since then low or very low or dropping connection. In desperation moved PC to kitchen table to try it out 3m from router and works fine. Would any other manufacturers router be better or will I just have to accept that my house is not suitable for a wireless network? Any advice gratefully received.

John
Community Veteran

Are there any other wireless networks within range?

Try changing to a different channel number, range problems can be caused by other networks in the same areas operation on the same channel.

Are in living is an old cottage, made with solid stone internal walls.

Chilly
N/A

Poor wireless signal with BT voyager 2100

Thanks for advice. Will try changing channels but knowing neighbours (not v near) unlikely to be interference. Guess you're right that thick stone internal walls likely to be the problem.

John