cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless LAN

N/A

Wireless LAN

Is it possible to use a wireless LAN card (PCMCIA such as Netgear's MA401 or a USB alternative like Netgear's MA111) to connect two computers together without a wireless access point?
Thanks to anyone who can help Smiley
6 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless LAN

we have tried to look into this very situation a couple of times but unfortunately at present i dont think it is possible ...

hope this helps ... Chris
Community Veteran

Wireless LAN

I've been told a peer to peer connection link this is possible (but not for any more than 2 computers), although I've never tried it myself.

Chris
N/A

Wireless LAN

You should be looking for card that support Ad-hoc mode.

Most of those that do have it, do not support it. It's more of a benefit that is available in there wireless chip design, but isn't esentialy int eh standard.
Community Veteran

Wireless LAN

Yes, this is possible. I run an ad-hoc link at home at the moment.

The first thing to do is ensure that you have compatible cards. I had problems tring to link together an Actiontec and a Netgear card. I plumped for two Netgear cards in the end (one PCI, one PCMCIA).

The reason was I didn't want to shell out for an access point when all I wanted to do was sit downstairs with the laptop watching telly while surfing on my spangly-fast Plusnet Internet connection!

Simply configure both cards in 'ad-hoc' mode (instead of Infrastructure) and they should talk to each other. This is essentially the same as using a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable when physically connecting two machines with a network cable.

B.
N/A

Wireless LAN

Apologies for what now seems like duff information...

Can anyone tell me how to set this up to share a connection and files - is it the same as if it was a direct crossover connection?

Also what about the security issues? Can you restrict the cards so they only talk to the machines you want them to talk to?

Cheers - Chris
Simon_M
Grafter

Wireless LAN

Can anyone tell me how to set this up to share a connection and files - is it the same as if it was a direct crossover connection?

Very similar, it's more like a peer-to-peer network with a dumb hub or switch - in other words no server. You will have to set the IP addresses manually for each machine.

The only real difference between this & a crossover cable is that you are not restricted to just two machines.

Security options will depend on the cards that you have. All the security examples in my D-Link DWL-520+ manual assume Infrastructure mode (i.e. using an access point), but it doesn't say they don't apply to ad-hoc.

Cards will normally be set to Infrastructure mode on installation, so the first job will be to set them to ad-hoc. Do one & set it running. Then do the other while in range. This should make it find the other card & link to it rather than trying to set up a 2nd new network.

HTH

Simon