cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Help Needed

N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Hi

I use a small wireless network at home, and have been doing for the last year or so. However, about a month or so ago I started getting interference across all channels which makes it unusable more than two meters away from the router...

Sometimes it's usable during the day. I've been working away from home and sometimes got home midafternoon, and found it quite usable till the evening, when it just stops completely. I suspect a neighbour is running a videosender or something which is swamping all the channels, but can't track down who it is...

Any suggestions? My router is a Netgear 824M and used to work great... with the summer coming I want to get some more garden surfing done... Wink

Thanks
Phil
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wireless Help Needed

What PCMCIA card are you using?

Are you running the latest DG824 firmware version - this may help. Also check for updated software for your wireless card.

DECT phones (the digital ones) can sometimes cause interference. If you have one, try turning it off completely and see if the problem goes away. If you don't have one, maybe your neighbour has bought a new phone?
Community Veteran

Wireless Help Needed

I haven't a clue about NetGear routers, but see if they have such a thing as "Protected mode"... if yours does, give it a go. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Don't think there is a protected mode.

Running latest firmware. The laptop is a Compaq evo, using a Wireless Multiport (W200). I have a DECT phone, but I think it runs at 1.8-1.9 Ghz, and turning it off makes no difference. No interference is present on the phones channel.

I have moved the laptop to various locations, tried different channels, etc. I had 8 months of trouble free operation and then one day, the signal just dropped halfway through surfing from my front room...

As I say, the times that interference starts is consistant with a neighbour coming home and using something that swamps all 13 channels (I've tried them all!!). Anyone know any ways of tracking this sort of thing down? i.e trade bodies, government departments. I tried the DTI website, but apart from some white papers on what frequency bands are available, there is nothing that gives any guidance on what to do if you have interference of this sort.

Phil
dgp
Grafter

Wireless Help Needed

Hi - The Radiocommunications Agency used to deal with interference, pirate radio stations; etc. They've moved to Ofcom see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/rahome.htm. You can try the enforcement team, but if your neighbour ends up in court because he's doing something he shouldn't he might not be too happy with you!!!
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Silly question time, but have you tried moving the router to a different part of your house?

Have you spoken to your neighbour about this issue? He/She may have some equipment which is causing electrical and radio interference and they might not know it's causing a problem.

Seems strange since the nature of these devices is to operate in an environment with loads of electrical noise and they are designed to cope with this.

Could you have a fault or damaged aerial on either your router or network cards? or a faulty router or network card?
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Offcom will not be interested in low power devices, such as video senders and wireless routers. They were deregulated some years ago.
Unless your interference is from an licensed transmitting station or a transmitting station operating outside the license conditions, you have little chance of getting anything done.
Wireless may seem appealing, but it just is not as reliable and secure as wired networks. That is, unless you pay out for commercial medium power digital encoded stuff.

Latest firmware for DG834 is 1.04.01
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

I have checked out some sites and video senders do cause problems for 802.11b wireless networks.

So if your neighbour has a sky / video sender then you have a potential problem.

Short of coating of the wall between you and your neighbour with Aluminuim, I'm not sure what to suggest.
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Not sure how you would get around that. But at least get your neighbour to turn off Sky to test to see if thats the problem. Saves alienating your neighbour when that might not be the problem.

Another point to check, could any of your close neighbours be picking up your wireless signal and using it in turn affecting the bandwidth, or do you use WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) Huh :roll:
You can check what devices are connected to your gateway by clicking on the Attached Devices section under Maintenance on the Netgear Gateway config page. Shocked
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

If it does prove to be a Video Sender, not sure how your going to tell your neighbour to stop using it.

Whatever is causing the problem, must be creating a fairly powerful signal to swamp out yours. Most wirless kits are designed to cope with a fair amount of interference and electrically based noise.

Have you checked that your aerial is not damaged in any way?

Does your router pick up your laptop?
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will try a few of the things suggested - initially I'll try using the router at another location to check no damage to the aerial before I try harrasing the neighbours... Wink

Thanks again, and I'll post back with any results.

Phil
dgp
Grafter

Wireless Help Needed

Philip - Just happened to notice this on another forum it may be of interest http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=120655. Not that it'll solve anything, just proves you're not alone!!
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

:shock: I'm surprised that companies are given radio licences to produce products which can so directly interfere which each other.

I thought video senders were illegal anyway? I seem to remember something about it, since they can effectively jam/block normal analogue TV.
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

There are no license requirements, both to own or to manufacture, low power transmitting devices in the 2.4Ghz band.

There are so many analoge devices now on that band that interference is highly likely if you have many devices in your house or close by at neighbours.
The wider the bandwidth required to send the data, the more likely the interference. Video senders need a lot of bandwidth to send a colour picture and stereo audio, up to 7mhz.
Fully digital devices on the same band are still too expensive for general use.
N/A

Wireless Help Needed

I knew video senders required a lot bandwith. I studied radio and TV, signals etc in great depth during Uni Shockedops:

So if your neighbour is using a video sender, sounds like there is little to nothing you can do. :shock: