Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Fun

jabb0
Grafter

Wireless Fun

Ok,
I have just got a fonecall from a friend, running WinXP.
She has a wireless network running (or not) - the problem being the PCMCIA card for her laptop did not come with any setup instructions, and i have neva set one up before, and i hate networks.

Now I gather that as with all other windows stuff this aint rocket science to setup...
I hope that indeed there is a reasonably generic approach to this, and also that someone here could describe at least a skeleton setup process, i am sure i could manage to fill in some of the blanks.

She is running a winxp laptop, a wireless router, and a PCMCIA latop wireless card - what buttons need pressed to get them all to talk to eachother?
(this is all the info i have at the mo, but if needed i can get more detailed specs)
6 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Fun

Hi Jabb0

Have a look at this article from Microsoft and there is a welth of info from this one.

Most pcmcia nic's require the drivers installed before plugging in the card.

Good luck.
jabb0
Grafter

Wireless Fun

I think i am actually gonna have to go over there, and work on this one first hand.

Networking is ahrd enough, nevamond trying to explain it to a complete NOOB down the fone or on Instant Msging.

Those 2 links are prolly gonna prove invaluable, cheers!!!
N/A

Wireless Fun

trying to explain it to a complete NOOB down the fone or on Instant Msging.

Know exactly how you feel. Not easy sometimes. :roll:
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Wireless Fun

Hi Mark,

You seem to be in the know on a lot of this stuff, so I wondered if you've come across the following - cannot find aything useful on MS Technet or Premier Online Support.

I have recently upgraded my laptop from XP SP1 to SP2. Prior to the upgrade, wireless networking (built-in Intersil Prism PCI card) worked like a dream on 3+ different access points (home, work flat and work mate's network). Post the upgrade, it can take ages to establish a connection, the connection frequently drops out and what worked "yesterday" just will not burst into life "today".

There are many old reports of issues with the Wireless Zero Connection service, but disabling that does not make much of a consistent difference. The service can "see" the access points but struggles for ages to establish a connection, then gives up and refreshes the available network list.

Any clues please?

Clutching at straws!
Kevin
N/A

Wireless Fun

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. TBH I have only just read it.

Short of trying to find updated drivers for you Prism wireless device I am at a bit of a loss to identify your problem.

Getting drivers might be difficult as Intersil dont provide them any more. The National Semi Conducter (Intersil) chipset which your device uses is also used in some Linksys and Netgear devices.

It might be an idea to try the driver for the Linksys WPC11 card, V.3 is the latest and see if that improves things. Bare in mind though that neither Intersil nor Linksys will support this option.

If you feel comfortable with this idea, give it a try. If it doesnt work you can always roll back the driver.

This type of activity is done at your own risk though. Wink

Let me know how it goes and apologies again for not replying sooner.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Wireless Fun

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look at this after I've allowed our desktop support boys to crawl over the laptop (company device) first. I'll let you know if I get a fix for this.

... all my Excel crash problems appear to have dissapeared post the SP2 upgrade, but now I waste more time with the dropped-out network. Sings and round-abouts!!

Cheers,
Kevin