cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless ADSL Experiences Please

grahambritten
Grafter

My sister and brother-in-law have just signed up for Broadband Home 512 Premier. In sign-up the process we chose "Wires Only" so they could purchase their own equipment. Due to the fact that they don't want to start ruining their recent decorating they have decided that it's got to be wireless. They need to connect 1 desktop PC and at least 2 laptops.

After a bit of reading and research, mainly influenced by the "all-in-one" wireless router Lab Test in PCPlus 220, September 2004, they have decided on the following kit :-

Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-in 802.11g Wireless Router F5D7630UK4A

For the desktop
Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter F5D7000UK

The only problem I can foresee is that this requires the PCI slot to be 2.1 compliant. At the moment I'm not sure if the desktop will be OK. Any idea how I can check this? The PC is about 2 years old.

For the laptops
Belkin 54G Wireless NoteBook Adapter F5D7010UK

Alternatively we could use USB instead of PCI card and PC Card Adapters.

Belkin Network Adapter / Wireless Usb 2.0 802.11g F5D7050UK

Has anyone got any experiences and recommendations in using any of the Belkin kit listed above?

I realise that there is other kit around, Linksys WAG54G and Netgear DG834G spring to mind. It's just that the Belkin appears to be the easiest to set-up and maintain, bearing in mind that my sister and brother-in-law have no experience with networking and my knowledge is a bit limited. I know I'm going to end up as their front line support when it comes to this and I just want to make it as painless as possible for all concerned. Wink

Any other comments or advice is also welcome.

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

A 2 year old PC will have PCI 2.1 compliant slots.

Can't help with the wireles Qs as I don't use it, what I will say is the Netgear DG824G is the easiest router I have found to setup. Most of the config for ADSL can be found automatically by the router so you only have to enter your plusnet login/password. Not sure about the wireless side though but as I have never done it I can't say if it is as easy or not.

One thing you need to be careful of is how many walls the signal has to go through. Some wireless routers can't cope with more than 2 walls without degrading the signal to below what is necessary to communicate. See the ADSLguide review of the Belkin wireless router testing here which shows your router does not like more than 2 walls (in the test environment), whereas the Netgear DG834G can still work through 4 walls.
lowry
Grafter

Yep - The Netgear DG834G seems pretty easy to set up. I think you get what you pay for in these situations. The Belkin router in the ADSLGuide review seems to be a great deal but Andrew (who wrote the review on ADSLGuide) says that the wireless capabilities of the router are a bit disappointing.

Wireless router percentage of detectable signal

Router
1st Wall
2nd Wall
4th Wall

Belkin F5D7630UK4A
80%
13%
0%

BT 1250 (2Wire)
100%
54%
26%

Linksys WAG-54G
93%
53%
6%

Linksys WRT54G
93%
26%
0%

Netgear DG834G
100%
60%
26%

U.S Robotics 9106
75%
20%
0%

Wall 1 comprises double brick construction with bathroom tiles
Wall 2 comprises of double brick construction with kitchen tiles
Wall 4 is the next measurable point, due to an old coal bunker between walls 3 and 4.

Unfortunately, after what is otherwise flawless performance, the Belkin router is let done by under par 802.11g wireless performance. It is likely that it is faster with Belkins own brand of wireless cards. Though 13.67Mbps across a wireless connection is plenty enough to run decent quality streaming audio and video material from a central server in a house. The range of the unit appears to be somewhat lower than some of its competitors, making it really only good for use through one or maybe two solid walls.

matt Wink
N/A

Hi Graham,

We use the Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-in 802.11g Wireless Router at home and haven't had any issues with it. Setting up was pretty easy, and we use 2 of the 4 wired PC connections and 1 wireless connection to a laptop.

Has all the features we needed, i.e. Mac address filtering and WEP/WPA security.

Dave
N/A

I use this router at home. 2 wired and 1 wireless connection. I have had it up and running with Wanadoo for 5 months with no problems at all. However, since moving to Plusnet with the 1mb line I am having drop outs with the modem hanging. I was just searching the forum for some ideas and saw your post.
N/A

Hi rednwhite,

Was your post referring to me ? If it was, we also use the 1mb service having used to be on dialup. No problems with the ADSL side of things.....

Dave
FillDee
Grafter

rednwhite (sorry for getting off the topic)

However, since moving to Plusnet with the 1mb line I am having drop outs with the modem hanging

I have had the same problem since upgrading fro 512KB to 1MB. The modem seems to lose it's connection then links back up again. Never happened with my slower connection.
I have found that by plugging the modem directly into the master socket with no extension sockets connected, there is no problem. This leads me to believe it is the internal wiring of the house that is at fault.

May be of some use to you ?