cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiping a Hard Disk

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Wiping a Hard Disk

I had an old PC at home that I wanted to let the kids use to run 'The Sims' game. For some reason the install did not go correctly, uninstalled but still will not install properly. Now my second has gone to High School, I have two battling to get onto an Internet machine.

Rather than mess about I would like to wipe the C Drive completely, and start again andreinstall windows and set up for wireless.

What is the easiest way to completely wipe the hard drive?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wiping a Hard Disk

If you are running Xp then just boot up from the windows CD and then ask it to delete the partition(s) which is an option as you go through the install menu.
Then re create a partition and format.
Bingo its all gone.
Community Veteran

Wiping a Hard Disk

If you “really” wish to clean the hard disk then try;
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

But be warned that if you chose the most secure options then it can take over 24 hours.

Chilly