cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windoze is lying to me

jabb0
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

Yeah i use Ubuntu as my main OS, but i had to install winXP so i can run some programs i need for uni.

When i was partitioning the disk i thought 20gig would be ample, then i decided to install a game or 2.

Now the thing is if i open My Computer > right click > properties on c drive it reports its using 14.3 Gig, but if i then open c drive and select everything on the top level its reports all files and folders on C:\ as using 10.8gig (and thats "size on disk" the bigger one).

There is a little discrepency in the figures, and when you take it that i only got 20gig to work with, it makes it all the more potent.

So does anyone think they know what is going on? I have enabled the viewing of hidden folders and files, just incase you thought it was that.
The extra couple of gig would be dead handy.
13 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

It should be noted, if you formatted the partition with the NTFS file system, a good few gig's would have been lost to it (for example, I have a 120GB NTFS formatted drive in my server, and 6GB of that was lost to the file system's needs). In addition, reducing the size of the recycle bin (to around 2-3%) will help too.
jabb0
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

I had an idea the recycle bin might come into this, but the point you make about NTFS taking 6/120 gig is a bit disturbing, i always the thought thats what the 8meg extra partition NTFS always created was used for. But thats defo a nice lil bit of info cheers.

I was thinking tho that i would have included the recycle bin, as its stuck somewhere in Docs & Settings folder, which was selected in my top level testing thingy.

But on working it out if your 6/120 (5%?) ratio holds good for all sizes it works out about right.

nice one
cheers
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

It's worth pointing out that the Master File Table (MFT) that is allocated on any NTFS drive will resize dynamically if needed. In a freshly formatted drive, it will be be set to the maximum size. If the drive starts filling up, the MFT will shrink a certain amount to make space.

Have a read of this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q174619
Community Veteran

Windoze is lying to me

The 'lost' space is probably being used by system restore. By default, this is allocated about 10% of each filesystems disk space for save points.

The regain this either turn off system restore or reduce the amount of space it is allocated.
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

the swop or page file takes up space too Cheesy
jabb0
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

Ok,

Would selecting all of the files&folders from the top level of drive C: not include the sysem restore files?

I have turned my swop file off, i have over a gig of standard memory, & 256meg on the Graphics card and i have had no complaints to date.

Its still lookin like the MFT dudes, however there is a point in turning system restore off. I have never needed it.

Now i am taking bets, that in saying what i have just said and then doing it - my compo will crash tomorrow at which point i would then find it handy Tongue
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

Ok,

Would selecting all of the files&folders from the top level of drive C: not include the sysem restore files?

Thats correct ....
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

Turning system restore off isn't a good idea. If you want to restrict it then you can by system properties.....advanced.......performance settings.....advanced...type in the amount you want to specify.
Personally ,i would let Windows deal with that. If you have a second physical drive you can put the page file on there.....
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

system restore is uselss -- and just gets in the way. If you get a virus or trojan they usualy now either disable it, remove the files you need, or corrupt them making it even harder to get back to a working os.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Windoze is lying to me

system restore is uselss -- and just gets in the way.

Couldn't have put it better myself!.... can't beat a good image Wink
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

I have turned my swop file off, i have over a gig of standard memory, & 256meg on the Graphics card and i have had no complaints to date.

Turning your swap file off is a bad idea, even with that much memory. Some application will still write to disk, and if a badly written program starts taking up ram, your machine will crash.

System restore is a waste of space, and can slow the performance of your machine down.

Finally every formatting system in use, will result in less space that the actual drive is rated at, this can be down to MFT / FAT. It is also down to the way the clusters are sized. The larger the hard disk space formated as one drive, the more you will lose due to the cluster size.

Finally with NTFS, you can compress files and programs you don't use often, and they'll automatically uncompress when you use them.
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

I echo the comments on System Restore. I initially had it switched on but when I needed to rely on it, it simply did not restore the PC to how it was - I just ended up with an even more screwed up computer which was one more restore point further away from where I wanted it!

Turn it off, reclaim the space on your hard disk, improve the speed of your PC a little.
N/A

Windoze is lying to me

Sorry guys- i didn't mean system restore, i meant the swop file. As you say system restore is a useless facility that helps keep your system infected Evil