cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows

N/A

Windows

I have a couple of problems, any suggestions would be appreciated:

The first is when I am in windows explorer and I open another window from within the current window I am in, and when I clsoe any window opened from withing the set of windows all close down at the same time. But if I open a new window from my desktop, and have several open at one time they close one at a time (how it was before for all windows). Getting quite frustrating, as you do not wish to close all open windows at the same time.

The second problem, not sure if it is related, but when a close a window by clicking on the link in the window i.e. close, I get the following error

"The instruction at “0x7d51dfb1” reference memory at “0x0000004c”. The memory could not be “read”.

Click on OK to terminate the program"

I am using XP, and the latest updates have been down loaded.

Cherrs
David
10 REPLIES
N/A

Windows

reinstall XP Wink
N/A

Windows

A reinstall seems a tad extreme, try a "repair" instead, that way you'll get to keep all your accounts and apps.
Community Veteran

Windows

I know someone who used repair and It mucked the machine up even more in the end they had to re-install anyway.
Community Veteran

Windows

May be but its worth a try as a first step.

Just have to make sure you dont get confused with the "Repair" option that uses the console and is the first one you come across when using the XP CD.
If you just proceed as though you were doing a new install then you should get the option of a "Repair Install" which will leave all your files and software intact.
N/A

Windows

All,
Thanks for the info, I will give the repair option a try first.

Cheers
David
Community Veteran

Windows

Do keep us informed as to how you got on with it. Wink
N/A

Windows

Unfortunately the windows repair did not work – will probably persevere for a while with the problem, but looks like the next option is to clear everything off the PC and reinstall windows from scratch, unless any one has any other suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
David
Walrus
Grafter

Windows

I found your initial post a little hard to follow, I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing.

*If* all your problems are Windows Explorer related i.e. the 'strange' opening and closing and the memory exception then it is quite possible that you have a bad 'shell extension' installed.

Shell extensions are installed by various software packages to 'enhance' Windows Explorer's functionality.

Has this problem started since you installed a new piece of software? If so, what was the software?
N/A

Windows

Folks,

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I found a solution on the microsoft.com / windowsxp / expertzone / newsgroups / forum.

In short it looks like the problem was caused by a spy ware or a plug in like Google Toolbar attached to IE.

The solution was to: Open IE | Tools menu | Advanced tab | Uncheck Enable third-party browser extension and click Ok. then a restart to see if it happens again.

PS, I had previously run both Spybolt and McAfee anti virus software with no luck, but switching off the option to enable 3rd party browsers has done the trick.

Thanks again

Cheers
David
Community Veteran

Windows

At this point I have a crucial recommendation for you:

Get Firefox!