cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows takes up too much space

N/A

I have run out of space on my C drive, Windows 98 is taking up half of the 2GB. Can it be reduced,
Temporary internet files take up 164MB What are these & what do they do
There is a file C\WINDOWS\TEMP which is 254 MB again what is this and can it be done away with

Moderators note (John) Altered the text for the 98 for you to stop it bringing up a smilie
13 REPLIES
N/A

You can safely delete the contents of the C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder. Also, you can safely delete the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\*Account Name*\Local Settings\Temp folder.

The Temporary Internet Files folder keeps a copy of graphic images etc from the Web Sites you visit, so that next time you visit the same Web Site, the page should load quicker. You can also delete these files.

Do you also Empty the Recycle Bin?
Community Veteran

Yes you can clear everything out of the temp directory, also any .tmp or .temp files elsewhere on the disk.

The tempory internet files are a cache of websites you have visted and is used to speed up the time taken to load websites. It also stores cookies and a few other bits, it is fine to clear this.

The other things you can clear to help save space if you are really desperate is deleting unneeded help files, internet explorer history, unneeded jpg, gif, bmp files in the windows directory, unneeded files called readme anywhere on the computer getting rid of unnecessary extra mouse cursors, uninstalling software you nolonger use or hardware you dont have and deleting any documents you dont need.

Chris
N/A

Also, you can safely delete the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\*Account Name*\Local Settings\Temp folder.

Where might these be I cann't seem to find them?

I have deleted the temp files.
I have just noticed that my temp internet files folder is back to 148MB, I have come straight to this Forum after deleteing them. All the files are related to plusnet. Their are 30000 files!! all accessed at the same time !!

Does this mean that I will have to accept a big temp internet files folder.
Community Veteran

You should be able to set the size of the temp folder from the Internet explorer options and make it as small as you can.

Edit:- Just tried mine and can get it down to 1 meg if needed
Community Veteran

Where might these be I cann't seem to find them?

I think that marriglen is running Xp which has that file path but as you are on 98 it doesn't Cool
holdtight
Grafter

In explorer go to tools - folder options - view and put a dot in show hidden and system files and untick hide protected operating system files
then you will be able to locate C:\Documents and Settings\*Account Name*\Local Settings\Temp folder
from the tree structure in windows explorer
Community Veteran

The OP has windows 98 and that directory does not exist (it's only on XP).
N/A

Whoops!! Shockedops:
Community Veteran

How much memory have you got ftted and what is the size of your windows swap file (which you can see in the C:\ directory?

You may be able to save some space by limiting the windows swap file to a fixed size of approx 2 x memory fitted.
N/A

According to Microsoft, the Pagefile should be 1.5 times the RAM size.
N/A

Windows 98 I think, stores the temp directory under the windows directory.
I've an old windows 98 laptop kicking around at home, so I'll check it out and see if I can help you save some space.
Community Veteran

Do you believe everything that microsoft says Wink

The lower your physical memory the higher the swap needs to be in most cases.
N/A

I found that my temp internet file size was set at 61MB - but its actual size was 154 MB !
I was given the option of moving it so I have,to another drive so the actual size will not be so much of an issue.
I am running with my windows swap size set to 500 MB which is twice my RAM but I had already moved it off my C drive.
Thanks to the help recieved here I have significantly increased space on my C drive (500 MB) -- so thanks all. Any more ideas will be gratefully recieved!