cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows screwed up

aeroalfie
Grafter

Windows screwed up

I have windows installed with 2 profile accounts on it - on the administration profile i was messing about changing the windows theme but something messed up instead of having the default windows theme every has gone black apart from Icons i can't see any text in 'start' program files or anything at all, im sure its there i just cant see it because it black.

I am in the other profile now which is ok but it doesn't have administrative rights so i can't system restore or anything.

I can log into both accounts ok i just can't see anything, seems to be the same in safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas?
3 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

Windows screwed up

Try a windows repair?

Boot from WinXP CD. After it starts up, it will ask you if you want to repair using recovery console or continue with setup, choose continue with setup, press F8 for Agreement, then Repair.

That might sort it out, but I'm not holding my breath!

What happens if you right click on the black screen? Can you see the 'display properties' dialogue box? You might be able to change something there.

Regards,

Neil
Njal
Grafter

Windows screwed up

Just found this:

How to Start the Windows XP System Restore Tool if You Can't Boot

Boot into safe mode/Log on with Admin Privileges/ Type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. Then press enter.

Edit: Just saw this "seems to be the same in safe mode", so probably no help.

The final solution. Save all your data from the account you can get into, reformat & reinstall.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

Windows screwed up

its easy(famous last words) login with the account that works.
Open the control panel then admin tools right click on the computer management and choose runas then choose the admin account which I assume you have a password for. Create a 2 new users with admin rights. Log off and logon as the new user.

Now you can do a restore if you want or try ad sort the profile out. The profile is stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\username so first copy all the files and dirs for the old admin to somewhere else so you have a backup. Logon with the second new admin account which will create yet another profile. Now you can mess with the old profile. You can try copying the ntuser.dat from the new admim 1 over the file of the old admin and see if that solves it. Or you can copy the setting off the old profile to the new one ie dirs with favorites etc.

MS version of how to copy files for profiles etc.

Copy Files to the New User Profile
1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
• Ntuser.dat
• Ntuser.dat.log
• Ntuser.ini
5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Note You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313055 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/) OLEXP: Mail folders, address book, and e-mail messages are missing after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP