cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP

N/A

Windows XP

I need to recover some disk space on my harddrive. What files can i safely delete from win xp?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Windows XP

Anything in the temp directory and the windows help files.

you could also remove any unused folders and if you have an I386 folder you caan delete that - its a backup of the setup files so make sure you have a windows cd first.

If you are really strapped for space you could also remove any unused fonts, cursors, txt or log files in the windows folder and any jpgs or bmps.

You could also check for installed programs and windows components and remove anything you dont need much.

I guess it depends how much space you need compared to how much stuff you can afford to loose.

Chris
Community Veteran

Windows XP

Lots of possibilities some will only give your extra space for a short time:

Delete all in C:\windows\prefetch although this will get repopulated in time.

See what you may need in c:\windows\Internet Logs where firewalls and other packages often store logs, but don't delete the .RDB files

If you don't want to uninstall various hotfixes you can delete the uninstall folders in c:\windows called $NtUninstall.... and for SP1 $NTServicePack.... I could recover over 1GB on my system if I deleted these.

Reduce the amount of temp internet storage via IE tools->internet options->General Tab->settings button

Use something like Spybot search & destroy to really empty your temp internet files.

Try searching for files over say 5Megs and see if they are required.

Uninstall any games, tools, utilities and windows components you no longer need AND make sure the files/folders related to the software is also deleted manually.

Then finally clear out the recycle bin but wait a day or so just incase you deleted something you should not have.
Community Veteran

Windows XP

Also delete unrequired emails if you use pop3 email especially ones with attachments and then compact all folders and empty the deleted items.

If you use msn messanger / yahoo etc clear the log files and any recieved files.

Chris
N/A

Windows XP

Another thing to look out for is 'System Restore', last time i sorted this out, i got back about 2Gb worth of disk space.

You need to run the 'Disk Clean-up Wizard', it can take some time to complete, especially on large drives. (Right Click on the drive and go to properties to get to the button)

When it brings up the list of what to get rid of, there is an 'Other' tab. Bottom section says something along the lines of 'Do you wish to delete all system restore points apart from the most recent?' Do that and then 'ok' from the wizard itself.

To stop System Restore taking so much of the drive you can set the maximum space it will use. This is under 'System' in Control Panel (or right click on My Computer and goto Properties). There is then a 'System Restore' tab where you can set the size or even turn it off if you want to (though not recommended)

Ben