Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP on two networks simultaneously

itchyfeet
Grafter

Hi,

My home network has 3 PCs connected wirelessly to my router. Two of the computers are quite close together and I sometimes want to transfer files between the two. At the moment I either transfer to an external USB hard-drive or a transmit files over the wireless network.

However, both the computers have wired network ports, so I thought I could connect the two using a cross-over cable for transferring files. However, when I do this both computers throw a wobbly when trying to access the internet (as they try and access the internet over the wired connection). Does anyone know how I can set this up so that the wired connection is used for transferring files between the two computers and the wireless connection is used for everything else?

Thanks,

Brian
3 REPLIES
N/A

It can some time get messy doing this as windows gets confused.

You need to know the ip range you are using by doing ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt.

It will probably be in the 192 range if so you set the ip on the network cards to a different ip range. So on the network card pc one set it to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 set pc 2 to 10.0.0.2 subnet make sure you dont set any default gateway as that will screw it up leave it blank.

now type
net use p: \\10.0.0.1\c$ from the second pc and you should then have a drive p which is c drive on the other pc.
from the 1st pc type
net use p: \\10.0.0.2\c$

If this doesnt work tell us the ip range your using
Denzil
Grafter

You could set up a network bridge, although, if I remember rightly one PC needs to be XP Pro, not Home, to offer this facility.

So on PC1 you turn off the wireless, and just have a crossover cable to PC2. PC2 is wirelessly connected to the router. PC2 then has two networks, which can be linked using the network bridge.
itchyfeet
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions.

Denzil - I thought about that solution, but one of the PCs is a laptop and isn't always there and so the wired connection cannot always be relied on.

mwright - Thanks. That worked a treat.