cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Service Pack 2, (Release Candidate 2)

N/A

The above service pack is showing on microsoft windows update site now and I wondered if this version is the final release version or still a beta release? Mainly wondered as I cannot decide if it is worth updating to this release or leaving it a while in case of any potential bugs etc.
Rumours were that it's release had been further delayed until August / Sept. Anyone know the true facts?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Well it's not showing up on my windows update.

I wouldn't bother with it just yet anyway. I had rc1 on my system and removed it because of problems and i had problems with a very recent build of rc2, also now removed.

One other thing to be aware of aswell is, if you have a version with a stolen or invalid key you wont be able to use the windows update site anymore after installing rc2.

Andy.
N/A

RC2 means it is still Beta.

Release candidates are usualy a stage where the developer feels it is ready to be shipped, and asks a wider audience to test the product.
N/A

Yes thought it was a beta myself but wasn't sure. It's a bit odd how it appears in as an essential update when I go to the windows update page, bit unfair of Microsoft not to put some sort of warning there before you download it. Think I will leave well alone until it becomes 'official'.
N/A

It will appear in windows update, either because you have SP2 (RC1) or you have downloaded the link to upgrade windows update on your machine to version 5.

See Link Below
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2wuins.mspx

[Moderators note (by Thomas): URL fixed for you.]
N/A

I do not have SP2 (RC1) but my version of windows update has been updated to version 5. it was done virtually automatically as I was prompted to do it before I could get any more updates. Is there anyway to get it back to the old version of wndows update?
N/A

RE SP2 (RC2)

Windows XP SP2 is still beta.

I tried the RC1 and the pop-up blocker is annoying, and can you remove it? can you hell.

It's not due to come onto windows update as an official update until August 2004, and can be between 50mb and 70mb.

Craig
N/A

Microsoft is preparing to release SP2 in August and thus they are moving everyone over to Update Version 5. It's nothing to worry about and you'll be fully covered for any updates your PC needs.

Aaron
N/A

The popup blocker can be turned off, and I have removed SP2 (RC1) & SP2 (RC2) without any issues or problems.