cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Running slowly - suggestions

N/A

Cry Windows XP responds very slowly to commands. Point click and it takes a few seconds for the hour glass to appear and then even longer to go into the next programme. I have defraged; virus cleaned and spy cleaned. Any other suggestions
8 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

When I was running Norton Internet Security, one of their regular updates caused this kind of thing. It was a couple of weeks before they quietly fixed it,
I you're using NIS, I'd point to that.
Community Veteran

Alt+Ctrl+Del > click "Process" tab. See what is using your cpu. If you find a process using a large ammount of cpu, make a note of the process name and "google" it to find out what program it is related to. You may find it is a recent program install, or a program you have recently upgraded.
If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling said proggy.

Good luck.
N/A

try emptying the temp folders on your pc, if nothing else mentioned works..cleanup! is a good program for removing junk...
N/A

try emptying the temp folders on your pc, if nothing else mentioned works..cleanup! is a good program for removing junk...

I use crap cleaner regularly, it does a good job of cleaning all the junk files

http://www.ccleaner.com/
Community Veteran

Run Taskinfo and see what processes are using up your CPU time. When running, select view and tick 'show process description' to see the proper program names which will be easier to recognise.
N/A

stop, wait wait wait, STOP.

ok, you say XP is slow need some more info first before anything (no offense guys above, but wow, talk about using a sledgehammer to put in a thumb tack)

what is the spec of your machine?
did you upgrade to XP from another OS?
is your copy of XP "valid" (no I don't care if you pirated it) but if it's not a pukka copy you could be having all kinds of un-fixable issues
have you recently changed anything? installed any new software? new hardware? even if it seems like something that would make no difference at all..
Community Veteran

talk about using a sledgehammer to put in a thumb tack

:? I'm not sure who you think is being over the top with their suggestions! :?

But in anycase the OP hasn't even visited this thread since starting it, so I guess it's a mute point!
N/A

all the hints above are fine, except, they are trying to start fixing something they know nothing about.

be like getting your spanners out to fix your mates car cause he tells you it does'nt go fast enough.