cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Pro Licensing help

Firejack
Grafter

I need to upgrade my network to use Windows XP Pro and am very confused about the whole licensing process.

I need 4 computers with Windows XP Pro.

I have;

• 2 with Windows XP home.
  • 1 with a pre-installed version of Windows XP Pro that can only be used on that machine.
  • 1 without an operating system currently.

I want to buy 1 copy of Windows XP Pro with 2 extra licences. But cannot.... from anywhere that I can see :roll:

Looking around I have several options;

• Buy 1 copy of Windows XP Pro and 2 upgrade copies.
  • Enquire about a 'Small Business Starter pack'
  • Apply for an educational licence (however this would take time)

Is there something I'm missing here? There seems to be many options and neither give any sort of comparison on price or the time to delivery. Not hard to see why so many people just download off the Internet. So much easier!

What option do I chose? Is there another option? How would you get the required copies of WinXP Pro? Of course I want the cheapest Cool

Thanks.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just dont buy OEM versions but the full Retail Version, to quote a review on ebuyer

once you have activated it with your hardware you cannot swap it onto another machine like the retail edition. See http://www.mcse.ms/message348728.html

*note that url won't work just now but should later
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

why dont you recomened OEM?
N/A

you have 1 net connection right?

get ur XP Pro disk,, use it to install on all the computers.. using the same key... and.. woah it all works Smiley

just make sure that only one PC is on at a time... and then you can do it Wink

why would you BUY a licance :S

and any how.. if you were to buy 2 licances it would cost u the same as buying 2 CDs as thast what the cost is.
N/A

HI there,

codezero. OEM discs must live and die with the pc on which they are installed. They should not be installed on any other pc, even if the original one has been replaced.

Buzz. How do you get round the activation of the os if the same licence is running on different machines. Might work if each machine is identical in build but unlikely IIRC.

regards

Mark
Community Veteran

OEM discs must live and die with the pc on which they are installed. They should not be installed on any other pc, even if the original one has been replaced.

I have managed to get an OEM disk installed on another machine.
What happened was my first venture from 98 to XP and I bought a new Hard drive and XP OEM disk.
The machine I installed on did not like XP or XP did not like the machine and I had actually activated it on this machine.

I built a new machine and put XP on this but of course the activation failed with a message to contact Microsoft, which I did.
On contacting them and explaining the above they quite readily gave me a new activation code for the new machine. Cool
N/A

Hi John,

Good one, but methinks that was the exception to the rule.

MS are getting very sticky about licensing at the moment and are letting folks away with very little at the mo.

But your clearly a sweet talker :lol:

Regards

Mark
Community Veteran

Must have just been lucky or they took pity on me. :? It was XP home though not Pro so I dont know if that will have made any difference. ?

Just a question though if the original poster doesn't mind me borrowing the thread? I have XP home from an OEM CD on one of my machines here.
What happens then if say my Hard drive failes and I do a re-install on a replacement drive. Will it authenticate or do I have a potential problem?
zpeterk
Grafter

My oem xp pro re installed on to my new machine and activated on line with no probs
N/A

Hi John,

What we were taught (by MS I add) was that XP takes a snap shot of the main component parts of the system (manufacturers codes) at the time of registration.
You are allowed to change 3 of the main components, HDD, CPU, RAM with out re registering. Anything other than that requires a phone call to MS.

However zpeterk's post has just made a mockery of that teaching.

MS licensing, it would appear is stil the minefield it always was.

I have never tried installing an oem os on another machine, must try it (for epermimental purposes only of course).

Regards

Mark
Community Veteran

Thanks for that info Mark.

I wonder if there is some sort of time scale? I seem to remember when Xp first came out reading that you were allowed so many changes in a given period?
Perhaps this is why zpeterk has managed to install on another machine.
I have tried it on another machine and although it installs with no problems it won't allow you to authenticate. ( just curious like you ) Wink
N/A

Hi John,

Please see the ramble from MS below.

I have asked them about time scales and I think that produced some headscratching. mmmmmh!

Product Activation works by validating that the software's product key, required as part of product installation, has not been used on more PCs than is allowed by the software's end user license agreement (EULA). In general, Windows XP can be installed on one PC and Office 2003 or Office XP can be installed on one PC and the laptop computer used by the user of the one PC. (For specifics, please see the EULA accompanying your product.) Product key information, in the form of the product ID, is sent along with a "hardware hash" (a non-unique number generated from the PC's hardware configuration) to Microsoft's activation system during activation. In Windows XP SP1, the product key itself is sent in addition to the product ID. Activation is completed either directly via the Internet or by a telephone call to a customer service representative. Activations on the same PC using the same product key are unlimited. Product Activation discourages piracy by limiting the number of times a product key can be activated on different PCs.

Didnt tell us anything we didnt already know.

Regards

Mark
N/A

From what I understand, if two or more components, i.e. hard disk, graphics card (not memory) within the machine are changed, XP requests a new activation code.

In addition some versions of OEM XP home don't require activation, since they are pre-activated by the Supplier, and thus it maybe possible to use them on another machine.

Aaron
N/A

i never needed an activation code *shrug* and yes my disks are LEGAL *u can have a pic of them if u so wish*

and hey if u need a key.. google :p (not saying nething about warez here atall) and you can also bypas the product activation if ur CD wants to make u do it... so who cares.. u payed for it once.. why the hell should u pay for it again for the other PCs in ur home...

*stops antiMS rant*

PS : use linux :p

Buz
N/A

Hi buzz,

Good one. I'd like to know how to do that...........no requirement to activate........nice. Cheesy

I agree. If you pay for a MS license then that should be the end of it. MS licensing is a night mare. It doesnt need to be that complicated but it seems we are stuck with it.

No harm in the odd rant now and then.

Mark