cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Loading Error??

Haylamar
Dabbler

Ohh, this is my first posting to a forum, ever!

Can anyone help? I'm quite a newbie at all this computing lark so I would really appreciate any help anyone can give. My AV did a full system scan last night and came up with some Adware. This has now been deleted, but on starting up Windows XP I get the following message:

"error loading c:/windows/downloaded program files/bridge.dll"

How do I stop this? Have tried searching on this issue, but it all seems a bit tekky.

Thanks in advance. Wink
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is related to spyware and your AV program has not fully removed all evedance of it. Download ad-aware and spybot search and destroy apps and run them. They should hopefully find it and delete it for you. Downlod links for the 2 apps can be found here: General: Essential Security software.
Haylamar
Dabbler

Windows XP Loading Error

Thanks, have tried both of those, and restarted my PC but am still getting the message.

It also says, which I should have mentioned earlier:

"specified module could not be found".

Am I right in thinking that windows is trying to find this file on start up, but because it has been deleted it is getting confused?

I did find a website called Freedownloadtools.com which contains a PC Bug Doctor which claims to remove any errors from the system. Is this worth a try?
Community Veteran

The probable cause is as you say that only part of the files have been deleted and even if you run the adaware / spybot programs they are not removing the rest of it.

I suggest you use the system restore to set the machine back to before you did the deletions. Then install and run the Adaware / spybot programs which should then find all the files for removal and sort it out.
Haylamar
Dabbler

Oh dear, Cry I've tried to set my system back to three separate restore points, the oldest one being 26th June, but on each attempt the restoration fails and my system remains unchanged.

Perhaps I've deleted something permanently and the restore function can't work properly.

Any more help, greatly appreciated.
N/A

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago, here's how I got round it :-

Start
Run
type "msconfig"
OK
Click the "Startup" tab
scroll down the list until you see anything with "bridge" written in it. (you may also find that the command column has the path "C:\windows\downloaded program files\bridge.dll" in it).
Untick the boxes next to anything that looks like its to do with bridge, click ok, restart your pc and it should have solved the problem.

If not then its fairly safe to untick more boxes if you are unsure if somthing is "bridge" or not, all this does it stop the particular item loading at startup, if you untick somthing that stops somthing you need starting up then you can always just tick it again.

Tom
Haylamar
Dabbler

Cheesy It worked!

A big thank you to everyone who helped.