cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP - Internet Connection Sharing

N/A

Hi Folks,

Wonder if some kindly soul could please offer me some initial guidance on internet connection sharing?

I have an ADSL Home (self-install - internal PCI card option) account and would like to share this connection with another PC (..a works-issued laptop) in order to access works intranet at decent speed while keeping phone line free!.

Before getting too bogged down in various gory details, the first thing I'd like to check is whether I am "allowed" to share this type of connection with my account?

If this is OK, I'd be delighted to provide full details of what equipment involved, what I've tried and where it's all gone horribly wrong!! Cry

With many thanks and best regards,

Dom
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Plusnet have a wonderful policy of allowing you to do this (another thumbs up, Plusnet!) so there are no problems.

What you will need to do in the first instance is ensure the machiens are networked. This will require a network card in each machine. Then, you will need to buy a 'crossover ethernet cable' and simply plug this cable into each socket on each machine.

The crossover ethernet cable means that a 'hub' or 'switch' is not required, and is a fine way to connect two machines.

Once you have the physical connection sorted, you then need to sort out the software configuration. It depends highly on what OS you have on each machine, although if you post then I should be able to help you with whatever!

Barry.
N/A

Hi Barry,

Many thanks indeed for being prepared to help me with this Smiley

I'm hoping to connect a Windows XP Pro desktop to a Windows 2000 Pro laptop. Both machines have 10/100 ethernet cards installed and, luckily, I have a crossover cable handy.

I had a brief dalliance with connecting the machines a couple of days ago and although both machines appeared to be transmitting/receiving packets OK, I had problems getting the machines to "see" each other?!

Also came a cropper in fine style trying to configure IP settings etc. to share the internet connection :roll:

Any suggestions you can offer would be hugely appreciated, and please don't hesitate to ask for any further details that would help.

Thank you again!

Dom
N/A

Have you checked with your company IT policy that you are allowed to access their network by Broadband without a VPN Huh
N/A

Hiya,

I'm pleased to confirm that company does have a VPN - we are able to access works intranet via an existing internet connection (....alreading working via desktop pc, but need to get this connection shared out to laptop!)

With best regards,

Dom
Community Veteran

Dom,

Firstly, I'm assuming your desktop machine will be the 'connected' machine. This should be pretty easy to set up. I have no experience of configuring this on XP, so I'm going to use my experience of 2K and hope that it rings true somehow.

On the desktop machine, go into the properties of your ADSL 'dial up connection'. Somewhere there (hopefully under a Sharing tab) will be the option to enable 'Internet Connection Sharing'. On 2K, when you tick this and hit OK, it tells you it has set your network adapter to 192.168.0.1, and that you'll lose connectivity. Hopefully XP is pretty similar Smiley

If you then go into the properties of your 10/100 card, you should see the IP address set to 192.168.0.1, subnet of 255.255.255.0. This means that the XP end is set up. Whenever I play with netowrk settings in 2K, it *usually* works ok without a reboot, but I would reboot at this point anyway.

Now then, onto the client machine. This could be a bit trickier. It depends on whether your work assign a static or dynamic IP address to the machine when its connected to your office LAN. If it assigns a dynamic IP, GREAT! The way to check this is to go into the properties of the 10/100 card, to where the IP address and DNS servers are set. If they are both set to 'assign Ip address automatically' then all should be good. If not - write the details of the IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers and default gateway down, then set them to be automatically assigned.

At *THIS* point, plug in the crossover cable to the desktop machine, and THEN the client machine. I would then try to reboot the Client machine.

When the client machine reboots, it will hopefully be assigned an IP address in the range 192.168.0.*, with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. You can check this by going to a command prompt and typing 'ipconfig /all' (without the ''s) which should give those values. It will also (hopefully) have assigned DNS servers - most likely 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150, although 13.49 and 13.50 are also possible.

If it has assigned all these, try a tentative 'ping 192.168.0.1' from a command prompt - you should get four replies back.

If this works, try 'ping 212.159.11.150'. This will try to contact one of Plusnets DNS servers. If this works, great!

Next, try a 'ping www.plus.net'. If *THIS* works, they you're home and dry and your sharing is set up!

If any stage of this doesn't work, then please feel free to repost, or contact me at: barry@zubel.co.uk, although I check the forums pretty regularly!

The next stage will be setting up VPN access. Find out what IP addresses that your office LAN assigns firstly. This will either be the number you wrote down earlier, or you might have to do the 'ipconfig /all' when connected to the Office LAN. If they are ALSO 192.168.0.*, then you may have a slight problem when setting up the VPN, but we can work through this pretty easily.

Have fun, and good luck!

Barry
N/A

Hi Barry,

Apologies for slight delay in getting back to you (rebuilding sister's PC most of yesterday after nephew practically "totalled" it !!!

Anyhoo, just wanted to thank you sincerely for all your time and trouble. Thanks to your being concise and keeping things clear & simple (not unlike myself Wink ) I have now been able to share internet connection (and files) - YAAAAYY!!

Just have a slight "authorisation" issue with works intranet to overcome - but that will undoubtedly be a matter for our Remote Access team to investigate and resolve.

Thank you again for your help with this - it really is appreciated Cheesy

With best regards,

Dom
Community Veteran

No problems!

I'm always glad to help people make the most out of their PlusNET internet connection Smiley

B.