cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Home and loading software

N/A

On my new pc, with XP home, I have loaded Microsoft Office 2000, as administrator. It shows up fine under programs, in my space, but only part of the application shows up under my other family members sections.

Has anyone any suggestions. please?
5 REPLIES
N/A

You need to work out if its loaded for everyone but not on the menu or if its not installed for some users.

If you look in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Start Menu you will see the menu items. You can then copy them to C:\Documents and Settings\otherusername\Start Menu.

They will then see it on their menu. If its installed for all users they will then be able to run it. If they cant you may have to change perrmisions on the office folder or install it for each user.

A lot of new software gives you the option when you install it to set it for all users or just yourself. Its easy missed but worth looking out for.
N/A

Thanks. What an excellent reply and really useful. Cool
N/A

Just a very minor observation - you can't log onto XP Home edition as administrator unless you're in safe mode and I don't think that you should ever consider installing software in safe mode. You probably logged on as yourself but with administrators rights right?
Community Veteran

I believe botham is refering to an administator account not 'the administrator account'. You can setup as many admin users as you like.
N/A

Quite so - I was just saying that if you are doing anything on WinXP Home "as administrator" then you must be in safe mode and I'd suggest that it wouldn't be advisable to install anything let alone MS Office in that state.