cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Home - Problems

worcsdave
Grafter

If anyone has any clues about these problems that I'm having with my new operating system, I'd be very grateful!!

1. SInce installing WIndows XP Home, Word 97 is behaving oddly - it won't let me save new files all the time, and on the occasions when it does, it only saves them under the first letter of the file name I give them. WHy?

2. I have IE6 as my web browse, and some web sites open fine, but on others there is a band about a quarter of the width of the screen on the right hand side of the web page that doesn't get used - the web page gets squeezed into the other 3/4 of the page. Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

Dave
10 REPLIES
N/A

This won't help but I've got XP pro and Word97, it too behaves a bit oddly, it always says that another user (me) has already the document it and do I wasnt to make a copy, I answer no and everything is ok.

I checked out the cost of a new copy of Office XP and decided to live with the fault.

IE6 works fine for me, I think it would be a good idea to check that you are up to date with the latest windows downloads.

Jeff
N/A

Sorry, can't help with problem 1.
Problem 2.
Change text size to medium to start with(view, text size)
Then click the max button (top right).
Do you use ad blocker?
What sites have that band on the right?
N/A

I have no idea on the IE6 problem, however, Word97 I do.

WIndows XP was never designed as a simple upgrade solution and never pretended to hold full 100% backwards compatability.

IIRC, Office 2000 was lowest version intended to work on it.

On top of all this, if you have used the upgrade system, rather than a fresh install, this may have caused problems. Rather than upgrade, it uses a settings and files migration system.

This means copies your files so they are accessable, and copies settings where possible. Upgrades have given me nothing but hastle, as some migrated settings can cause a lot of problems.
N/A

yes yes yes.....dont i know al of these troubles too....

ahh well, i deserted MSoffice for openoffice. i am able to open word, ppt and excel files in it....can save as them too.
doesnt creep around into my system as they do and i enjoy something which is FREE, dont need to keep forking the money out for MS products etc....
if you want to check it out then follow the link below....its a 65mb download. its opensource, which means its being updated constantly by programmers everywhere who are tired of using MS problematic softy.

doesnt include MSaccess equivalents but we do know that mysql is free also....amongst others.....hope you find it useful too.... Cool

http://www.openoffice.org/
N/A

Ah, but if you check the documentation of OpenOffice, you will find that they diliberatly don't include a DB front end.

This is because you can build your front end in any of the programs supplied. Data Access methods are provides, and you can easily get MySQL and other DB drivers.

These drivers are provided in Java.

So all in all, you have an office system that can run on *nix and windows. The fact these DB drivers are Java means they are also cross system compatable.
N/A

brilliant innit Cheesy
N/A

Yes Open Office is free, but it comes a poor second to the later versions of Office.

I like the idea, and being open sourced an'all but the last time I used it (about 6 months ago) I just couldn't get on with it.
N/A

Indeed, it is a tought cookie to get started with. However, for free, it is:

* so damned easy to rollout on networks.
* upggrades are a doddle
* not a single worry about porting documents

Yes, it means you have to manage multiple configuration sets, one for each platform. Unlike MS Office, however, that is usualy down to the simple "It only works on the one platform" concept.
worcsdave
Grafter

Well wish me luck - I've managed to get Open Office on CD from a UK distributor (tried downloading it over a dial-up connection, but decided that it just wasn't going to happen!!) - and hopefully it will sort out the difficulties in being able to save documents. Still having problems with IE6 however - I tried using Netscape instead, in case there was a problem with the browser software, but same problem happens there. Ho hum - I really HATE computers sometime!!
N/A

I've just downloaded open office, so far so good.

Ok, I'm on Broadband so the download was quick, it took a couple of minutes to install with the default options. I've opened up existing word & excel documents with no problems.

It looks a "little" different, but only a little.

I have no need for Access at home

It's looking very good so far

Thanks for the link

Jeff