cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Protection Error! Plz Help!!

N/A

ok so i was there last night all was going well and then i went to join a game on zdoom on gamespy.......it didnt work... so i thought o well ill go on vietcong instead....pc crashed and restarted................
when the pc restarted a blue screen came up saying windows protection error...i restarted the comp thinking me cpu was just bein stupid as it usually does..but the same screen kept appearing.........

i restarted the pc in safe mode and uninstalled doom, zdoom, vietcong, and gamespy and the problem still persists! Cry

can any1 plz help me with this prob? Sad

oh btw the OS is Windows ME...

[Moderators note (by Thomas): All CAPS title edited.]
6 REPLIES
N/A

usualy means that you have screwd (technical term :p) one of the important windows files when ur pc chrashed. Only real way to get around this is to reinstall winodws (98SE or XP NOT!!! ME!!!!!!) unless you want to go and find the file that is screwd and try and replace it via dos Smiley .. but that may take you years ;p

buz
Alecto
Grafter

why not ME ?
Community Veteran

ME is (was) one of the worst WIndows versions. It was supposed to be a better version than 98SE but turned out to be much worse in reliability issues etc. Stay well clear of it!
Alecto
Grafter

But they delivered ME on my computer and every time they come to mend it they reload it.
Is it really worth buying XP instead?
I assume you can't get it for free.
Community Veteran

Because that is the licenced version that came with your system so they will always reload the version you have installed. To put a different version on would mean you paying for it as your supplyer certainly wont.

XP is certainly more stable and faster than Win9x/Me so would be worth upgrading (you can by an XP upgrade package which is much cheaper).

There may be compatibility issues with some of your old software and games but most will run on XP by now with patches.
Community Veteran

One thing you can try is to reinstall ME if you have the original CD, ontop of what you have. This should replace any broken files causing the protection error and retain any software you have already installed.

Just make sure you specify the same location for the windows installation (normally c:\WINDOWS).