cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows OS Question...........

nickthesurfer
Grafter

What with Microsoft getting increasingly twitchy about pirate copies of software & having to register your OS upon installation, what happens if at some point in the future (distant future I hope) when I either have a OS problem or upgrade my motherboard & have to reinstall the damn thing.............will Microsoft think that I am using a pirate copy as the OS has already been registered once?

Just something that sadly came to mind while trying to get to sleep last night :shock:

Shockedops: Nick
10 REPLIES
phillight
Grafter

No, Microsoft don't seem to care. I think you're allowed (IIRC) to install 4 times a year on different hardware, or as many times as you like if the hardware hasn't changed significantly - there's a .doc file somewhere on Microsoft's web site that explains it.

However, having re-installed several times in one year with various hardware upgrades the online activation stopped working for me, the error message suggesting I had a pirate copy and should phone to activate. I did this and all they wanted was for me to verify the product key, and online activation now works again.

Phil
nickthesurfer
Grafter

Sorted!

Cheers :lol:

That's one less stupid thing to stop me getting to sleep at night.

Nick :mrgreen:
Community Veteran

Of course, what might help with the fight against piracy etc. is if Microsoft reduced their prices... but that's another topic for another thread for another time.

Thomas
N/A

I know you get different points scored for each component you change,
after your tally reaches a certain amount eg. if you replace the motherboard
together with the CPU then you have to phone to register.
Does anybody know the rules applicable to an OEM version of XP
eg can you replace Motherboard and CPU and then register ?
Geoff
Grafter

I was talking to someone at work yesterday who was talking about a Dell OEM XP disk. It has embedded in it, the DELL Service Tag of the particular PC as well as the CPU ID No. :?

Geoff
N/A

There are three disk types available.

Retail: Non-braded / MS disk

OEM builder: Branded in most cases including support docs, IE and a few other bits, to the maker of the system. EG, Dell, Evesham

OEM generic: Simalar to OEM builder, however, there is no branding.

Each one has different information embeded. The CPU ID is not one of them, though windows will and does store this once installed, and is used as part of the activation process.

To embed it onto the install media, would mean a glass master for every system built. Do you know how much it can cost for one glass master when doing single mass duplication? This is not somthing a company could not shrug off and would hike the cost of a system.

There may be more disk types available, including those for enterprises, however, this covers what the consumer market would see.

MS are rather right lipped about the activation process, as any other company would and should be. Providing information like what is stored could singal the pirates to come in and exploit another part of the activation process they hadn't before.

They are obliged to say what type, but not the exact information. The DPA requires they say the type, to proove the are not carrying personaly identifiable information, as the type they do hold isn't personaly identifiable, the DPA does not cover apply.

This means that when and if you can reactivate, when you must use the phone and how much hardware can change, may vary on the type of disk used.
N/A

Actually........

there are also Microsoft Select copies that IT support staff flog to all their mates, pirate copies that one can buy up and down the county at any car-boot sale and if ones travels to the Far East one can find entire markets dedicated to selling software.

You and I (and Bill Gates) may not like it, but this is the reality nowadays. How many people do you know that can afford to spend £2000 ++ worth of SW for their home PC?

My last employer was running 3/4 of PCs using unlicenced software and he could well afford to buy the licences.

As for Microsoft, there are 10 websites that can teach one step by step how to get around their silly XP registration procedure.

The way forward is to greatly reduce the cost of SW, so that people will not bother with pirating it. As always, I will not be holding my breath for it.
N/A

With the cost of it currently, you would think they could invest in making it secure within the first year of release.

So what would reducing the cost do?

I can see you point, however, increased cost, increased cover. Then again, what cover.
N/A

Microsoft

As long as you have an original copy of the software then you've nothing to worry about. If not then you should by rights have something to worry about! I had to pay for my copy!!

Personally I've never had any problems with uncle Bill's prog. I've only had to reinstall once ( because I cocked up the hard drive, which, let's be honest is 99% of the problem ).

In short, I don't think you've anything to worry about, as long as you can register a genuine copy of Windows.
N/A

Just wait till Longhorn & Pallidium (sp?) arrives, thats gonna be a whole new ball game...

and alot of users switching to Linux....