cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows NT

N/A

Windows NT

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get a legal copy of a recentish version of Windows NT to have a play with- I want the experience of administering a O/S I haven't used since College as some employers are still using it.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Windows NT

Try ebay as you wont find any retailer with a copy now.

As for getting a legit copy I doubt MS are going to worry if you use a copy from work. You can use the same licence codes on multiple PCs.

Be warned, the hardware support is very limited for boards made in the past 6 or so years so you may have problems installing an a fairly recent system. Even more so if you have a 20+GB drive as I think it only supports a max of 2GB partitions.
N/A

Windows NT

You didnt say NT4 what workstation, server, terminal server?

Ideally you need an old pc to run it as 200mhz was the top pc in those days with 64 meg ram. You are best using a virtual pc I use it if i go for a job that still run nt4.

It shouldnt be hard to find one and you often get them at car boots. What pc are you running it on as I have a box full of dell nt4 workstations
N/A

Windows NT

I was planning to run it on a virtual machine as the only boxes I have are a high end laptop and a year old custom built high end desktop- certainly not hardware that will be supported by any NT build.

I'd like to have more of an opportunity to play with servers, but I'm primarily interested in workstation for now- sorry for not making this clear.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Windows NT

I have an OEM CD of NT Workstation with a 2nd CD containing SP3, if I can find the manual with the serial number you're welcome to it for the cost of postage.
N/A

Windows NT

Sounds good- PM me if you find it and we'll make the necessary arrangements.

Thanks everyone for their help Cheesy
N/A

Windows NT

You know of coarse that the worksation and server are the same product all you do is change a reg key and it becomes a server.

Its not hard to find
N/A

Windows NT

I'm pretty certain I still have a few copies knocking about the place too, fortunately I've only got 4 NT4 machines to contend with these days. (Oddly they seem to have less problems than more recent Windows incarnations.... I've had hardware issues with them, but never any OS problems!)
N/A

Windows NT

To (belatedly) close off this thread, I have been sent a copy.

With thanks to all who have helped.