cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Messenger

N/A

Windows Messenger

Please help!

I have windows messenger v. 4.5 and MSN messenger v. 7.5 installed. I would like to get rid of windows messenger altogether but am unsure how to do it safely.

I'm on XP Home and wanted the extra features of MSN messenger.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

Windows Messenger

To remove it you need SP2. If you have that goto add remove choose windows compolants and select it very easy
MarkAngel
Grafter

Windows Messenger

Or a nice quick and easy method is to rename the msmsgs.exe file in c:\program files\Messenger. You may have to end task it, if it is running.

M
N/A

Windows Messenger

I hate the Messenger. Everytime I do a fresh install of winXP I use this wee beastie.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
crimsone
Grafter

Windows Messenger

removing messenger is easy. It's a case of finding the sysoc.inf file in the inf folder of XP. Open it, find the row that mentions its filename (msmsgs I believe), and look across the rwo. find the word "hide" and remove it, leaving the commas on each side of it intact. save it, go to add/remove programs -> add/remove windows components, and there you will now see windows messenger liste (twice as it happens!). Just remove it Smiley

beware though, I'm not sure if this is correct, but I suspect that it migh remove one of either remote desktop, or remote assistance functionality from your XP install. Someone else should be able to confirm or deny this.