cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Media Player 10

nickthesurfer
Grafter

Windows Media Player 10

Since upgrading to WMP-10 I've been unable to play the windows media files that I had previously downloaded (& played). I keep getting the following message -

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I've re-installed the thing a few times now & have been going in circles!

- Nick :roll:
2 REPLIES
N/A

Windows Media Player 10

Windows player 10 dosnt use some off the same codecs as prevouse versions. What you can do is there is a program called g-spot if you type that in to google or yahoo it will give you a link to download it.
Then open the files in to g-spot and it will check to make sure that the codecs needed are installed and if not it will advise you on the codecs to get and then all you have to do is search for them in google or yahoo and download them. The other option is to got to microsofts download page and get the additonal codecs for win player 10 from there and see if that helps
N/A

Windows Media Player 10

Also ensure you are using DirectX 9. I always thought you couldn't use DirectX 9 if it wasn't supported by your graphics card but I recently did some upgrade work for a Win98 user and I lost the sound until I upgraded DirectX 9 as well as Media Player 10