cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows ME - Will only boot in safe mode

N/A

Hi there,
My old pc running windows ME has been increasingly unreliable lately.
So nice new one running XP duly purchased and installed. However when I went to boot up the old one to get various files off it simply won't boot in anything but safe mode, tried system restore. No Joy , always get greeted with "Windows protection error, system halted,you need to restart your comuter" - it's going to get chucked or given away but I would really like to get some files off the hard disc - pictures and outlook address book for instance ( I know my own fault for not backing up). Tried the various boot menu options in microsoft's website using selective startup option in msconfig - no joy. Anyone able to suggest anything please?? Cry , even if I could just get the thing to write to the CD or directly connect to my new PC with a cable in safe mode I could get off the files I want and bin the damn thing.
3 REPLIES
N/A

You should be able to get to all your files even if the computer is in safe mode. It should allow you to burn them to CD.

As for connecting it to another computer, it depends on whether the safe mode has the network drivers loaded. On XP you have the option of two different safe modes, but it's been a while since I looked at ME, so I'm not 100% sure.
N/A

In safe mode the CD drives don't appear in "my computer" I assume the drivers for them don't load. Unless I'm missing something painfully obvious..which is quite possible Smiley
N/A

Just take the hard disk out of the ME machine and plug it into a spare EIDE plug on the XP machine. Then transfer your data over.

If you want to keep the disk to re-use in your ME pc, format it while it's still attached to the XP, reconnect to old pc and do a fresh install.

Btw I always copy my windows cds onto hard disk first and install from there rather than use a floppy for win me or a bootable cdrom with win xp.