cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Genuine Advantage Tool upgrade failed

Ron31A

I have just used Windows Update to install an update of WDA and the update to the computer completed OK, but was followed by a message that the update could not be installed, and an error of KB893103 was given.

The orginal WDA tool was installed a month or so back with no problem and I use manual updating rather than automatic so that I can select what I choose to install.

I've tried redownload the update and have even switched my firewall off for a few minutes in case that was the problem. But the response is the same each time, though I note the attempted update is added to a list which grows each time I try.

I've looked at the error code on the Microsoft site but cannot see info on how to overcome the problem though some old references refrered to Active X as beeing the culpprit. I have the default setting for Internet Explorer, but actually use Firefox as my default browswer.

My concerrn is that WDA is now effectively blocking any attempt to go and inspect and download available Windows updates !

BTW I'm running XP Home on an Athlon 64 (single processor) PC

Any help in resolving this will be appreciated

Thanks Ron
5 REPLIES
N/A

is your date / time correct?

maybe your key got nicked and used on the web, call MS support to ask.
Ron31A

Day and Date are correct. And XP Home was installed on the new PC by Mesh.

Re contacting Microsoft - I have looked at their web site and it seems that for
preinstalled software they charge £1/minute for support. This is like rubbing salt into the wound cased by them !

Mesh also charges £1/minute

So am hopping some kind sole has come accross my problem before and solved
it

Ron
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Can you recheck that number as KB893103 doesn't show up as an error code from Microsoft
In fact it is a Visio Hotfix. See this link
N/A

I assume you have used IE to do this as Firefox wont work with most of MS stuff as its upsets bill. This is one of those daft cases were the answer is often to use the cracked version even though you have a genuine copy.
Ron31A

I got in touch with Microsoft (0870 6010100) and was connected to a support guy
in India who got me to check numerous setting, do reboots inspect error logs etc
for almost 1 hour - hopefully at local rates and In the end he got me to download a WDA diagnostic tool WGADiag2.exe and ran that. After more r4ebooting and trying Windows Update again the problem was finally fixed !

He did not say the problem was unknown, just that that Windows Update was trying to install WDA when it was already installed, i.e it is a bug in their XP OS
surprise surprise !

Anyway hope this info helps anyone with a similar bug

Ron