Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 98 USB ATAPI driver

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have bought a USB case for an old 2.5 inch (12mm) hard drive to enable me to exchange data between a Windows XP computer and a Windows 98 computer. They are kept in separate places 200 miles apart, so networking is not relevant. This seemed like a very cheap solution but .........

The hard disk and case works fine on the XP system, but unfortunately the W98 system crashes whenever I try to install the driver - difficult because all the instructions are in Chinese, but I have tried every driver in the driver CD that came with it, and even the default driver in Windows\inf either crashes the system or is shown as defective in Device Manager. It recognises and installs the mass storage device driver ok, but not the USB ATAPI driver.

Can anyone suggest a cure or where I might find a suitable W98 USB ATAPI driver ?

Needless to say the vendor does not answer my emails ! But then, it only cost a fiver !
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm#HostSoftware may help you find what you are after.
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks. I have had a look and cannot see anything obvious that would help. But perhaps my posting made a mistake and should have read USB ATAPI ADAPTER driver - in other words, I suspect it is probably specific to the adapter, not to W98.
Njal
Grafter

If you can find the FCC number of the USB case (may be printed on the back of the case, or on the printed circuit board) you can look it up on:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

This should tell you the manufacturer (which may not be the name you have on the box!) and the manufacturer's website may have some alternative drivers and/or instructions.

Regards,

Neil
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks, but sadly nothing printed anywhere, not on the case nor on the pcb. That probably explains why it does not do what it is supposed to do ! Nothing evon on the CD !
Njal
Grafter

FCC numbers are sometimes printed on the back of the pcb, the side without components. Can you unscrew or unclip the board and look there if you haven't already done it.

Are there any other serial numbers on the pcb that you could Google for. Rapidly running out of sensible suggestions here!

Regards,

Neil