Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 95 (yes 95 !) and broadband router installation

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have been a fool and left the power supply for my laptop abroad, so cannot use it. I have a desktop computer running XP running broadband through a Linksys router, and I have an old, dusty bit loveable Digital (ah, those were the days) laptop which works fine, but runs Windows 95 !!

I have been trying in vain to connect the old laptop using Windows 95 to the internet via the Linksys router. There is no problem connecting to the router, and I can successfully access my desktop computer from the old laptop using the router. The desktop computer of course access the internet through the router successfully.

So far so good. But when I try to use the laptop to access the internet, I get "The Page cannot be displayed" message suggesting the browser settings are wrong.

I am using Internet Explorer 5.5 - I dare not upgrade, because I do not think the hard disk is large enough ! - and the browser setting is set to "Automatically detect settings".

To make sure that IE 5.5. is working ok, I have tried using the laptop stand-alone with a dial-up connection, and that works absolutely fine - no problem at all accessing the internet.

But I cannot do so using the router which is most odd, although I can access the desktop computer, proving the router is working.

It is a long time since I or anyone else used Windows 95, but can anyone with a good memory help me ? Should I be using a configuration script or a proxy server or is there any other setting which I need to access the internet through the router instead of by dial-up ?

I should add that I am using IPX/SPX protocol with a Xircom PCMCIA card. Properties are :

WINS configuration is disabled.
    The gateway tab is blank.
    DNS Configuration is set to Disable DNS
    Bindings are Client for MSN and file and printer sharing.
The only clue is that whenever I enter an internet address, it gets redirected to :\windows\system\dnserror.htm.

Any help most appreciated.
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Phew its been a very long time indeed so im only sort of guessing and trying to think back /-struggling to remember what happened last week /-

Could it be the DNS Configuration is set to Disable DNS ? can you enable DNS and manually insert plusnets DNS and the default gateway of your router ? theres no reason why it should not connect then

Have you gone through IE`s settings to make sure its not still configured for another connection or proxy server

I know thats a bit of a tried it already answer but thats all that comes to mind at the moment

Bill.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks. You solved my problem. It was not the DNS Enable but as I started to try that solution, it set my mind and memory going, and then I realised that I used to allocate an IP address for my LAN instead of getting a dynamic one. So by changing it to "Obtain an IP address automatically", the problem went away.

So thanks for your help. It got me on my way - and makes me feel sentimental about the old machine; I quite like it ! Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Also remember you need to set the gateway to the IP of your router.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
holdtight
Grafter

thanks for your help

No problem glad you got it sorted Cheesy