cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window XP Home Edition

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

Why is it so much cheaper to buy XP Home Edition Pre Installed than off the shelf? If I remember correctly when I bought my present PC, it was an additional £50.

I have just put a new hard drive in my old PC which run Me (What a nightmare, probably finished the old hard drive due to so many crashes) and would like to install XP, but the cheapest I can find is £114 complete (Not upgrade). Anyone know of cheaper?

I am tempted by ebay, going rate about £50, but even with plenty of positive feedback, will I get a genuine article?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Window XP Home Edition

When you buy software preinstalled on a PC it is called OEM software, and is supplied for use on that machine ONLY. If you buy software off the shelf then you are buying it with a license to use it on any one machine of your choice. OEM software is discounted - and the discount is passed onto the EU.

I would certainly recommend a decent eBay seller though... No sense in paying over the odds.
Alecto
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

You can get one off ebay for £50 ish and provided you choose somebody with good feedback you should be OK.
All they do is sell them with a bit of useless hardware to qualify as OEM editions.
I got one off there with no probs from enigma computers. They have a computer shop as well and sent it very quickly.
zpeterk
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

you can get it from ebuyer here
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

Interesting.

Elsewhere on ebuyer it is available at £150. Only difference I can see is 3Pk (Pack?) instead of 1Pk on the £50 version.

Anyone know the difference?
N/A

Window XP Home Edition

I think the £150 is for the CD, plus 3 licenses - enabling the user to use it on 3 machines.
Alecto
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

Ebay, ebuyer, £50-ish, Win XP Home OEM, - just get one. You seem to be expecting a catch and, providing your supplier isn't bent, there isn't one.
Don't forget to include postage when comparing prices.
I bought from enigma as at the time they were a bit cheaper than ebuyer.
Either will do.
Make sure you get one with SP2 included on the one disk, rather than an older one where SP2 comes separately.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Window XP Home Edition

Little to chose between the two.

Engima are selling at £60 plus £5 postage.

Ebuyer is £58.74 plus £5.04 poostage.

Thanks for all the help folks. Off to watch on ebay now. Smiley