cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Community Veteran

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Hi

A friend has given me his PC to sort out, and currently I am a bit stumped.

There are two problems….

Windows XP home will no longer boot. Using safe start the load display stops at mup.sys. I have tried recovery console and a re-installation of Windows but both fail at the “looking at your system” stage.

I have tried hanging the drive off another Windows system and the drive is recognised but is seen as unformatted and the only option is to format it. I don’t want to do that yet as there is data on the drive that is needed.

I have also attempted to recover the drive with Spinrite, but Spinrite won’t start on it as it says the drive has problems it can’t deal with.. Now usually if Spinrite says no go I would be prepared to just say that’s it and format, But……I then booted the PC using Knoppix 4.0 and the drive data was all visible, in fact I was able to open word and excel files in open office via Knoppix. So (at least some of) the data is there and intact!

I have tried to copy the files via Knoppix to my Windows drive, but I get a warning that it might screw my drive because Knoppix doesn’t deal with writing NTFS and I really don’t want to kill my PC in the process of fixing the other one!

So if anyone can offer advice on either how to get this blighter to boot or how I can transfer files from Knoppix to my XP system without wrecking my drive I am all ears! Smiley

Cheers Peter
9 REPLIES
N/A

Wind-woes, Can you help?

First off Spinrite wont work on NTFS drives that why that is not working.

Boot from the windows cd and in recover consul run chkdsk c: /f that may take a while but should fix any drive errors. Try booting if it doesnt work boot from the windows cd again and try a repair. Sometimes its a pain and you have to do it a couple of times. If that fails cary on booting from the cd and go for a reinstall it will then give you another repair option try that.

You can get the data with Knoppix it doesnt matter that it doesnt know bout ntfs as long as you just copy files. It would be wise to do this first.

If none of this works having got the data off do a new install delete the partion and start from scratch. If it still hangs remove all the cards you can and disable anythig you dont need for the first startup and try again.

If you have partion Magic or Acronis you could try shrinking the partion and moving it to the back of the drive and create a new partion at the front and install to that. It would give you your old data in a d drive. PM can somtimes fix errors if you try changing partions. You can get a free partition software from
http://visopsys.org/partlogic/download.html
Community Veteran

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Spinrite 6 is made to work on NTFS, but still has a prob with this drive.

As I said I cant use recovery console or reinstall because thees fail at the inspecting system stage.

So you are saying that the Knoppix warning that writing to my NTFS will damage my disk is wrong? Have you done this yourself, ignored the warning and lived to tell the tale? I must admit that I am loath to ignore that warning it doesnt just say that the destination drive is different and might get damaged it names it specifically as NTFS, why would they give the warning if it isnt correct?

I will check out the partition software thanks for the link.
jagger
Grafter

Wind-woes, Can you help?

What make of computer is it? Don't say Compaq or Dell please.(that would be more complicated)

If Spinrite is struggling then so is the drive.One alternative you could use is to install Windows onto a new drive,fit this one as secondary drive and format it.(yes,really).Then use a file recovery programme to go search for the files you want on the slave drive.They will still be there,formatting will not destroy them,but you need the formatting to find out where they are.You won't get the full OS files but you don't need them.It's them that ain't working anyway.

This has worked for me in the past when I buggered the boot sector of an XP drive with a linux boot loader.
Community Veteran

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Hi Jagger

It’s an OEM box that I put together Asus Mobo, AMD cpu, Samsung drive. I can’t abide the branded PCs that have customised versions of windows etc.

The formatting option you suggest is one I will seriously consider, do you know of any file recovery programs that are in the public domain or have trial versions? I don’t have a budget to buy software for this job.

Another advantage of formatting would be I could then test the drive after recovery with Spinrite.

Cheers
Peter

PS: Does that need to be a quick rather than full format to leave the data on the drive?
jagger
Grafter

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Take your pick here http://majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html
bookmark it as a useful site for freebies (I'm cheap as well) Cheesy

Quick format should do it.All you need is to put the reference points in for the recovery software.Match the partition structure already on the drive though.I recovered every single bit of the 30 odd gig I'd lost.

Are you sure it's the drive that's the boot problem?Have you scanned it for a boot sector virus (repeat after me, ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!) in a seperate machine?Try it with something like http://majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4019.html Plenty of nice little tools on there.

Good luck.
N/A

Wind-woes, Can you help?

if you want to backup date, just run an ftp deamon on your windows box (www.guildftpd.com for a good free one) and then use one of the ftp clients in knoppix (or just drop to bash and type ftp). then transfer it via FTP, this will neglect format type etc and just move all the files you need. it should be easy enough to netowrk the box with the windows one using knoppix.
jagger
Grafter

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Also Peter,a quick google found this on the mup.sys problem

Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys

If your computer loads all the way up to mup.sys then your HDD has to be working. If it was dead it wouldn't even load anything at all. It wouldn't even attempt to load that file.

Chances are that that file is just corrupted. Do you have a Windows XP CD-ROM so that you can boot into the recovery console and replace the corrupted file?

You could try that first.

And there's always our bestest mates at Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
Community Veteran

Wind-woes, Can you help?

Thanks for that guys... I have bookmarked all the web sites mentioned.

The drive does indeed have problems... I installed the freeware ( Smiley ) program PC Inspector File recovery and managed to get a good deal of the data off but this program reports as unable to read some LBA / Clusters. So I guess it is going to need a full format and Spinrite workout to decide if the drive is still serviceable.
jagger
Grafter

Wind-woes, Can you help?

:lol: Something to do during the long cold nights of winter

Good luck with it Peter.