cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinXP Pro Remote Desktop Connection

garywood84
Grafter

I am using WinXP Pro and am trying to use the remote desktop feature to connect to one of the computers on my network. It works in one direction but not in the other (i.e. fine from B to A but not A to B). As far as I can see the settings are identical on each system. Does anyone has any experience of this XP feature or know what may be going wrong?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Apart from making sure that it is turned on via.

Control panel -> System -> Advanced -> Tcik the remote desktop box.

Everything should be allright. The built in firewall should have the settings adjusted automaticaly.

What error does it give while attempting to connect?

Are you able to transfer files via windows shares?
garywood84
Grafter

Thanks

The box is definitely ticked on each machine. I am not using the Windows Firewall but my alternative software firewall is configured to allow connections from each machine. I can share files and printers between the two machines. When I try and do a remote connection from my main machine to the second one I get the message:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer.
Remote connections mught not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accpet now connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.
Please try connecting again later. If the problem continutes to occur, contact your administrator."

The trouble is, I am the "administrator" and I don't know what to do! Does anyone have any more ideas?
garywood84
Grafter

Another thing I perhaps should mention is that when I go into the Remote Desktop application to try and make a connection, if I pop the list down to choose the computer I want to connect to and then do browse for available computers, the other computer does not show up, even though it is powered up and working as far as file sharing and printer sharing are concerned.
N/A

First, the browse button will not show the systems, like it would normaly do for network browsers.

Remote desktop is designed for larger environments, and the security built in, is the same as if you where logged in at the actual machine (though secuirty is also bassed on your originating connection).

IE, it is designed for environment where domain controlers are in use, and it would show systems where you have permissions to access.

So long as you know the names, it is pretty simple just to type it in (try working in a place, where they won't buy you a DNS server, and you have to remember machines by IP).

My sugestion would be, to force disable the firewall.

To do this, enable it and aply the setting. You may need to reboot to get this functioning properly, this can depend ont he drivers (windows may have to shift to RAW mode, rather than using a cheat/quick mode).

You can then go back and disable it, again applying the settings.

There isn't much more I can sugest.

However, in your post, you said you have seperate firewall software. I can only sugest trying to get detail debug logs from it (it may have a setting/verbosity level), to see if any sort of connection is made out of the machine, and if the other machine receives it.

Have you tried connecting by IP rather than netbios names.
N/A

I suspect the firewall you need to open port 3389 as this is the port it use
N/A

remote desktop

may be sucking eggs time, but i did this with 2 pcs, i am single user on both pcs but had to set up user name and password on the remote pc before i could access it from the second one, must admit haven`t tried to access 2nd pc from the remote one though