cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinFax Install

Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Now heres a problem I seem to be stuck with and any help from our Boffins out there would be greatly appreciated.

I have to replace one of the computers at my wife's firm because it's got in such a knot software wise that the only way is to clear everything off and re-install. This computer has on it WinFax 8.0 Pro and I am putting together a machine to take over the job temporarily while I clean off the one in the office.

Ok thats the background now here's the problem.
When I come to install WinFax on this temp machine it brings up the logo and says "Starting Install Please Wait" and it does just that. You wait forever until control alt delete has to used to get out of it.

I have tried the software on all my machines on my network here at home and it works fine.
I have reformatted, re-installed tried with and without other software present but nothing makes any difference it still stalls at the first screen.
The machine in question uses an AMD K6/2 350 CPU and so does one of the ones on my network that installs it ok.
Other machines that load it Ok are Athlon 2.2 gig and Athlon 1 gig.

Any ideas, cures etc would be welcome
The machine works fine with everything else. In fact I am using it to post this.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Have you checked the support website? http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/asa_index.html

Thomas
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Yes Thomas but it no longer covers version 8.

Had a look under version 10 which is the oldest they now list but nothing covering this problem is mentioned.

Just about to try another hard Drive so I'll see how that does and report back
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Just to report back.

I have now installed a new HDD of a different size and make.
No Different so it loks like its got to be something odd with the motherboard or more likely its chipset?

Looks like I will have to try and dig out another board to take this CPU and memory and try that.

Oh well I'll let you all know the outcome :roll:
N/A

WinFax Install

you dont say what O/S your using? Winfax has allways been a bit dodgy on some pcs. Is the install programe a msi or a setup.exe?(some setup.exe call and msi file).

It could be somthing on the windows installer do a update if its 98 or apply service packs and try again. I assume you do have a modem installed and working with no conflicts on the com ports?
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

OS is windows 98se
As I said in an earlier post everything else on the machine is working Ok with no conflicts and it does install no problem on other widows 98 machines that have not had any updates to the original instalation.

The install file is called install .exe and it calls up another file that runs the intro page.
I have tried running just from that file but still no go.

I will try updating windows on this machine but I don't think its going to help.
I'll let you know what happens.
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Ok done all the updates and service patches for Windows 98se and still no luck.
The spare mobo that I had turns out to be duff (probably why it was spare. I must learn to throw things away) so it looks like I will have to lend them one of my machines while I sort out the firms one that needs the reinstall.
The kids are just going to love me pinching one of there Pc's Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

WinFax Install

Ok, you've helped me out, maybe I can try to help you.

As I recall it Win 98se has a built in fax which is based around the Symantec device, try add/remove windows features and delete the buit in fax, then try installing WinFax again.

Or have you tried this route?

Peter
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

No I havn't tried that but I must point out that it's the same version of windows on all the machines I've tried and it works on them all except one.
Only thing I never got round to was to replace the Motherboard, I'd replaced everything else on the machine.

Also I thought that the built in Fax option disappeared with 98se and was only available up to the original windows 98 version?

Thanks anyway but there is no longer a problem, I now have the original machine that needs sorting out and should be able to return it to the firm on Monday, so they will only have been without the Fax feature for a day and a half.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

WinFax Install

The built in Fax is still in 98se, but doesn't load from first install, you have to hunt on the CD for it in the retro folder (or whatever they call it)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

WinFax Install

Yes you are correct, the quote below is from the Win98se CD and can be found under \tools\oldwin95\message\intl

WHAT IS MICROSOFT FAX?
=======================

Microsoft Fax is a faxing application that requires a Full MAPI Client to operate, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging, Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook97. Microsoft Fax was originally shipped with Windows for Workgroups as At Work Fax and later updated to Microsoft Fax and included in Windows 95, OSR2 and OSR2.5. This is the same update and does not include any feature changes. Microsoft Fax requires a fax modem.

But I have now sorted out the PC in question and this has quite happily accepted Winfax.
Thanks anyway for the information and this may always help others reading these forums.