cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP and Office 97

penneck
Grafter

Win XP and Office 97

I've got a pc with Win XP and Office 97 on it. Office 97 gives me Word 97 and Excel 97. Everything worked well until just before Xmas. Now when I open Word 97, after 10 or 20 seconds, it brings up the "There has been an error. Word is going to have to shut down" window.

I have uninstalled Office, then re-installed it, but still the problem exists. I've run AVG7, Spybot, Adaware and Eiwido, but still Word fails.

Has anyone any suggestions how to cure this, please? I'd rather not have to spend £300+ getting a more up-to-date Office just at the moment.

Thanks
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

XP doesn't work too well with all aspect of Office 97 Sad
You need at least office 2000 to make it work as it should.
Or as suggested use a non Microsoft product. Most these days can read the Office files Ok.
N/A

Win XP and Office 97

search your hard drive for normal.dot (ie in explorer hit the search button and search the whole hard drive) make sure you find them all as often there is more than one. Then delete them all word will create a new one when it starts up.

This is the normal cause of the problem the file gets corrupt and reinstalling doesnt create a new one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Win XP and Office 97

XP doesn't work too well with all aspect of Office 97 Sad
You need at least office 2000 to make it work as it should.
Or as suggested use a non Microsoft product. Most these days can read the Office files Ok.
I currently have 7 machines with Office 97 and XP with no problems at all.
penneck
Grafter

Win XP and Office 97

I have tried uninstalling Office 97. I then searched for Normal.dot, found only one example, deleted it, then re-installed Office 97. At first it seemed to be okay, but 24 hours later, it was giving problems with Word again.

I know Office 97 had problems, or at least thats what lots of people have said, but I've been using it for many years, through Win 98 and Win XP, and this is the first time I've had problems with it.

I've run up-to-date versions of Adaware, Spybot, Ewido and AVG7.5, but that hasn't dragged up anything that might give me problems.

My wife uses a pc at work which has Win XP and Word 97, and her pc works quite happily. I don't have much confidence that a newer version of Office would fix it.

I'm open to other suggestions, so if you have any, I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks
Rich
Grafter

Win XP and Office 97

Do you have an HP printer?

I have a similar problem if the printer is not available to the PC. It is a known problem, for which there is no fix (other than making sure the printer is connected). The clue is the name on the error report - the fault is in hp-something-.dll

If this is the problem, then it doesn't just affect Office 97 - it can affect anything that can print!

Richard.
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

I currently have 7 machines with Office 97 and XP with no problems at all.

The key word in my statement is "all aspects". There are some serious shorcomings and if you were to try and install Office 97 Pro then you will find some functions that just wont install.

You will probable have already noticed that even with word its not easy to get it to open a file directly just by clicking on the icon from a folder. It will come up with 3 or 4 (can't recall how many) boxes where you need to click ok and accept the fault. Then it will eventualy open it.
Opening the file by just selecting it from the word menu is fine.

Try and install Powerpoint from the Office 97 Pro disc and it just wont.
Believe me Office 97 is definitely not made to work well with XP.
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

Sorry I was a bit terse before.
I wonder if the OP has checked whether this is a bit lower level than an application problem?
it might be worth uninstalling, rebooting, running something like crapcleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com), rebooting again, running scandiskw, rebooting again, then reinstalling.
then if it doesn't fix it install OpenOffice as it looks and feels like Office and is just as full featured. And is Free.

PS is the portal in trouble again? this took me 4 goes to post -- so sloooooowwwwwwww
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

John,
Taking your points.
I installed from the Office Pro service pack 2 CD and installed everything except Access - no problems at all. All updates worked also.
A double click on a word file always opens it without problems and Powerpoint also works fine. Just checked and opening Excel and Powerpoint files from explorer or My Computer also work OK
The one problem I have is that upgrading Outlook to Outlook 2003 has meant that a number of functions just don't work such as auto archive but I can live with that as I do it manually.
N/A

Win XP and Office 97

if deleting normal.dot made it work then that is the problem. If you delete it you dont need to reinstall. If it goes again then delete the normal.dot again. what you need to do then is find out what is corrupting the normal.dot all the time. It could be a bad sector on the hard drive run chkdsk /f any macros running possible an installed extension like acrobat?

It could be you have to delete normal.dot on startup everytime.

Are you positive there is only one as often there is one hidden somewhere that is the problem if there is more than one user then it may be in their profile which you may not find unless you log on as them
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

I installed from the Office Pro service pack 2 CD

That may be the answer then as the version that gave me all the hassle was not service pack2.
penneck
Grafter

Win XP and Office 97

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I have just downloaded and installed Service Packs 1 and 2 - so far so good, but it may be a few days before I can rely on having solved the solution.

Just curiosity for the moment, but just in case I need to use it - one of you suggested the possibility of deleting Normal.dot at Startup, and the possibility of there being a hidden Normal.dot. Being a numpty on these things, please explain how I would do the startup thing, and how to find a hidden Normal.dot.

Many thanks
penneck
Grafter

Win XP and Office 97

I should have read my previous post before I sent it. Terrible grammar - (1) "solved the solution"!!!!!! - solved the problem, I meant.

(2) "Being a numpty" - I hope you all read this as meaning I'm the numpty, not any of you.

Cheers

Graham
Community Veteran

Win XP and Office 97

There is normally only one normal.dot that Word 97 uses and that is under Microsoft Office / Templates.
I always make a backup of this so that I can replace it if it corrupts or vanishes (if Word can't access it then it creates a nice new one using the Microsoft defaults Sad over writing what is there)
One thing I have done in the past is to change the file to read only which stops all the messing about but also means you have to change it back again if you want to alter something. I did that when I was opening a lot of files from our foreign associates which, for reasons I never understood, could sometimes mess up the settings.
Edit - just found another one under Documents and Settings / Application Data / Microsoft / Templates but this was last modified in 2004 so I don't know how that one got there (it is possible that when I installed Word I changed the location for User Templates but I don't remember doing it)