cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP X64 Modem wont install

N/A

Right I've recently installed the final version of Win XP X64 edition to another hdd for my new Athlon 64 pc.

What I do when installing a new pc is to only put the graphics card into the pc & then install all other hardware one item at a time as to know of any problems right away rather than getting hardware problems after having loads of hardware installed at the same time. Thats my personal preference as if I had a hardware problem after installing 5 bits of hardware at the same time for a fresh install into a new system can you imaging the time it would take to find out whats causing the problem for sure? Smiley

Anyways everything installed fine no problems Xp X64 detected & installed my graphics cards no no problems. So I open up the pc & stick my asdl modem in. Upon a reboot Xp X64 detects the modem ok but the driver wont install. I get past the stage where it installs the drivers but it seems the drivers cant be configured as I get a message reporting this problem.

Now I've been told that the X64 edition is a sort of hydrid version of Windows 2003. And the fact thats it's still titled XP is of not to much relevence to the normal XP as it is to Win 2003.

So it seems that the driver disc that includes drivers for XP may not work with the X64 edition due to it possably not really being an update of XP as such. But alough my graphics card installed ok I take it X64 should still take hardware that runs via XP drivers no problem.

I've been with Plusnet some 2 years now so my modem is possably an outdated model thats no longer supported. The cd & therefor modem is seemingly from Dynamode. The last driver on there site is dated 08-03, prob the same as I have here & supports upto XP.

So can anyone advise me as to what the problem might be. The modem works fine on this, my spare pc running XP Pro. Just not on my new one running XP X64.

tomjones
13 REPLIES
N/A

Has anyone more so a moderator got any ideas or opinions on this issue or has anyone had this prob & overcome it using XP X64 Edition.

As I want to fully use this os due to owning an Athlon64 processor I dont like the thought of being told to buy a new modem to try to resolve the problem or have to move isp to see if that works.

I've been on Plusnet for some 2 years now & if I cant get advice on the issue I feel I'll have to look for a solution via another isp if I cant get help on here, which is the only place that I can ask for help.

Not holding a threat to PN at all but I do need support & help as a long term customer & a moderator should have read this thread by now to be in the position to offer advice.

tomjones
N/A

Dude its Sunday there's not many people at plus net today, and the ones that are are probably busy answering the phones and answering the support tickets. If you want an answer from plus net staff then Tickets and the telephone are the way to go. Posting on the forum on the other hand is watched mainly by customers and moderators who dont work for Plus net.

Anyway onto your problem you need to do a search on the net for 64bit versions of your dynamode modem drivers. I dont hold out much hope of finding them just yet as XP64 only went gold recently. You may be lucky and maybe able to find someone else who had written a compatible driver for your Dynamode modem.

Your lucky by the way my plusnet supplied dynamode modem only lasted me about 18months before it died.

Andy.
Community Veteran

So you are threatening to move ISP because your modem will not work under Windows XP x64.

Don’t let the door hit you on the bottom as you leave. Cheesy

This is a community support forum, it is not a place to demand support from Plus.Net or the voluntary moderators.

As Andy suggests search on the internet as other users may have experienced the same problem and solved it.

In my honest opinion, I would suggest that you consider a router, but you have made it clear you would not consider that.

Chilly
N/A

I have made it clear that I'm NOT demanding a full answer or solution at all in the slightest. Neither have I said or made clear ANY unwinningless to use a router in the slightest , let alone made any mention of a router so cant see where you got that idea fromHuh.

Also after having done a search & found NO posts on the same problem I asked in my last post if others having had & resolved the probelm.

I'm also a dedicated support moderator on a fairly large (over 1300 members) rather technical support board so please dont suggest I know what support boards are all about.

In fact I'm willing to try any reasonable step to resolve my problem if it can be resolved at all.

What I was saying is that if I cant get my modem working with X64 then as I want to carry on using it in the near future as my os then I may well have to move to an isp where they provide modems that will work with X64.or downgrade back to XP Pro that I'm currently using on this pc which I've not said I wont do.. Lets face it if anyones modem on here would not work with normal XP would you stay here & downgrade to Win ME or go to an isp where there modems would work with Win XP. So can you see my point?.

Yes I know X64 has just gone gold in the last 10 days & fully accept hardware issues to a point if this issue can be resolved in any way then I'm more than happly to try it out. Even if it means getting a new modem then I might think about that but going elsewere for an isp or spend money to stay here & get a new modem that may or may not work is not to aceptable an option without a confirmation on compatibility with X64.

I also fully accept that my modem is outdated & probably no longer supported as the last driver is dated 08-03. And if it's no longer supported then fair enough then getting a new one is a viable option. But it's unfair to refered to the Dynamode site to resolve the issue.

Plusnet sold me the modem so all I want is clarification on if there is a comon problem running it under X64 or if there is a known fix via Plusnet or if as said above a router will help clarify the problem.

To sum things up I just dont want to buy new hardware unless it will work or if my corrent modem can work with x64.

tomjones

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as it serves no purpose.
N/A

Hi,

If you arent already aware there is a common problem running many usb + pci adsl modems with x64. Infact modems as a general rule are causing much grief.

Manufacturers are not proving to be too quick about releasing updated drivers and as yours is a fairly old model you may be waiting a while.

As has been suggested a router will probably be your best option. NIC's are proving less problematic with regards drivers, with Realtek probably proving to be one of the least awkward to install.

Whilst shelling out more hard earned cash for hardware may not be a happy thought, you will at least be up and running with a far better connection medium than before.

If I can assist further i will be happy to do so. I have a number of x64 NIC drivers on our servers I can provide you with one if needs be.

BTW the Realtek RTL8169 will install out of the box under x64 if you can get one.

I know Plus net sold you the modem, however it was compatible with the products available at the time. It would be unfair to expect them to support a product as new technology arrives. If the manufacturers cant provide a driver there isnt much hope for Plus net coming up with one.

Hope you get sorted.
Community Veteran

Just to clear a few things up -

The moderators dont work for PlusNet, we moderate the forums, when possible if we know the answer we will help, just like any other customer.

If you have a support specific problem the best place is contact us or telephone support, PlusNet do read the forums but they dont read every post and unfurtunaltly rarely get as far as the computers and hardware forum.

Chris
N/A

Thanks for the replies Smiley .

I seem to have given the wrong impression If I suggested that those using this board or the moderators are in anyway emplayed my Plusnet & therefor have to offer a solution or clarification. If thats the impression I gave then I'm sorry as it was not what I ment.

But I would feel if fairly fair for Plusnet to by this time know if there is a comon problem with modems they have issued in the last 2 years or so to be in the position to let ALL customers current & perspective aware that the latest MS OS may cause problems or not work with Plusnet services. Surely the first & most effective place to inform current customers would be in this support board as an announcement right?.

I'm willing to bet in the next weeks as more & more move to the new X64 os that there are potentially tens of thousands of Plusnet customers this could effect & render there connection useless if they upgrade & have but the single pc to use this would mean they are not even in the position after a fresh install of a new os to even get on the net to try looking for a solution..

With the potential of the problem this has to cause loss of service to customers then it's surely an issue that Plusnet has to look into & make some kind of clarification on.

I'm going to try & get hold of Plusnet as suggested to see what can be done and to ask why such a potential problem they must now be aware of have received no public statement on there website on this support board.

tomjones
N/A

Ok when I sent the ticket this morning I got quite a quick reply for which I'm greatfull.

Sadly the reply did nothing to help & did'nt even sdress some of the issues I asked about.

This is the reply I received & in part expected:

Thanks for your query but updated drivers are the responsibility of the manufacturers and we have no capability or authority to create updated drivers. Suggest you contact the manufacturer direct regarding this issue. The Microsoft site may also help.

I have of cause tried to contact the modems manufacturer, Dynamode but received no answer as of yet. I feel it somewhat unfair to be told to basically sort it out myself. A single voice of a customer who did not buy direct from Dynamode will have NO effect in the way that Plusnet, who have bought, what more than 100,000 (prehaps a lot more) over the years could.

If Plusnet still buy the modems from Dynamode then they should use that position of bulk buying & power to get an answer for costomers that Plusnet supply the modems to.

Plusnet aint helping much & the modem manufacturer seems to be ignoring me. So between Dynamode & Plusnet I'm being ignored & told nothing to do with us go see the manufacturer. If Plusnet still buy there modems from Dynamode then they should be more helpfull in helping me to get an answer than telling me to deal with it myself.

tomjones
N/A

Hi,

If you have emailed Dynamode UK support you will get an answer. It may take a couple of days but they will respond.

As for giving you an indication of if/when an updated driver for that particular modem will be available, well thats a different story.

I cant give you any further suggestions other than those already stated.

If you want adsl connectivity on your x64 PC anytime soon then the previously mentioned options would be the best.
N/A

Thanks for the reply mark your posts are more clear & informative than anything I've got out of Plusnet upto now.

There are a few things (not gonna moan on again as such) that are frustrating me that Plusnet did not answer. I did ask them for info on any other solutions that I might try as if a need new equimpent I'd prefer Plusnet in the first instance to inform me what I need..

Right I know sod all about routers or anything like that as such. so you may forgive my ignorance in not knowing whats really being said or there use over getting a new modem is.

A couple of points is that my new pc's mobo has a LAN connection & I've also found an old Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card I had some 18 months ago but never got about to using it. But I do recall the chap saying than it can be used in place of a modem for broadband.

Dunno if that was correect but do any of those have a use?.

tomjones
N/A

If you buy a router with a built in asdl modem then that does the job of connecting to plusnet. It remains switched on and connected to plusnet even when your pc is powered down. Your pc connect's to the router with a network cable via your network card (aslong as you haven't bought a wireless system, but thats another long story) so it's not bothered about drivers for XP64 because thats all handled by the cpu thats built into the router.

Routers are a bit of overkill if your just going to connect the one computer, as there really designed to connect mutiple computers to one internet connection. But there are other advantages to having routers too, like having a hardware firewall built in and some now even let you use your normal telephone plugged into the back of it so you can use your cordless phone on VOIP (skype for example). There are other reasons too, but in your case it should solve your problem with there not being any drivers available for your modem.

Unfortunately company's do stop supporting older hardware, sometime's on purpose to force people to UPGRADE. It's not nice i've had this happen to me in the past with a Primax scanner that did the job it was designed for on Windows 98. But the buggers didn't write any drivers for XP so when i upgraded to XP i had to stop using it, i couldn't even find any compatible drivers by third parties either.

Best of luck with your searching for drivers and with Dynamode writing an updated driver. I think your probably going to need it.

Regards Andy.
holdtight
Grafter

I would recommend a router over a modem no matter what OS you are running

with a router you will get connected and stay connected, ADSL modems are at best dodgy and can cause untold problems due to compatability issues as you have found out, like i say this is the story no matter which OS

there are some really good deals around at the moment if you were to want one but make sure whatever one you get it is a router with a built in modem as the descriptions for these when you look at them can be a little misleading if you dont know about routers

Netgear and Linksys are two you wont go wrong with although there are cheaper options around it depends on your requirements
N/A

Thanks for the responce guys. But I've decided to leave X64 for a while. Well at least untill it becomes retail by which time (in a couple of months) manufactures will give a better indication of weather or not they will do X64 drivers. If not, as suggested I will get a router with buit in modem in the next couple of months.

tomjones