cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP SP2 - Keeps whinging that my firewall is switched off

N/A

Right, had enough of this!

Almost every time I boot up (although, typically, not *every* time) the Security Centre warns me that my computer is at risk because no firewall is active.

True, the MS one is off, but the one in my NetGear router is alive and well. I have told Security Centre that "I will manage my own firewall". I have changed the notification settings so that it is supposed to ignore the firewall but it just..... keeps........ reverting................ the....................... SETTINGS. Evil

Phew, feel better for that Wink

MS website knows nothing about the issue. Anyone else got this or has fixed this?

Thanks,
J.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

In the options for the security section on the control panel you can tell it that you have an external firewall.
It will then turn a nice orange colour instead of the red and stop whinging at you Smiley
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly I've been there, done that. It works while I'm logged in, but at re-boot it has reverted back to being monitored.

Agh!

Any further advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
John

Moderators note (John) Quote removed. Please do not quote entire posts if they are the preceding post to yours.
holdtight
Grafter

After installing SP2 the service centre informed me that it recognised norton antivirus was installed but would not manage it,
i dont use xp`s fw i use sygate firewall along with the fw that is in my router, and although i told it i would manage it all it nagged,
so i thought what is the point of it sitting in the tray and auto starting with
xp if its not going to do anything so i turned it off in services and disabled
it and ive not heard a peep since,
dont want it dont need it

if you want to use its features like the xp firewall and auto updates you may think differently
but my advice is turn it off if you dont
N/A

Good idea. Don't know why I didn't twig it's just a service like anything else.

Thanks for that!

John
N/A

I have just installed SP 2. I had a nasty halfhour finding my trusty modem driver cos Microsoft had taken it away and substituted one that wouldnt work, but that is solved.

I came here to re-read John's advice about stopping popups re not having Microsoft Firewall switched on. My question is that because I have 2003 Norton Antivirus will Norton Liveupdate work automatically for me or will I need to switch off Microsoft Firewall for automatic updating of virus definitions. I also have a Norton Firewall so I can do without the Microsoft.

Advice appreciated.
Community Veteran

If you already have a software firewall then disable the MS one. Then it can't interfere.

I think you will need to update liveupdate to run properly on XP2 - see the symantec website for upgrade details and other issues with Norton products.
N/A

Thanks Peter. I was at Symantec a few weeks ago but will see if they have added more information.

I went to have a look at suppressing the Microsoft popup window re having your Firewall switched off but couldnt find where to switch it off. Perhaps John could elaborate.

And it looks like my Norton AV needs Microsoft Firewall switched off (unless it is the 2004 version) from my previous reading here.

Thanks.
N/A

Symantec only seem to be doing updates for business users. Everybofy will have to buy 2004!
N/A

I have turned off Microsoft Firewall. And under Firewall by clicking Recommendations I found the switch to turn off the warning balloon (I hope).

So now can somebody confirm that only Norton 2004 Anti Virus supports Automatic updating of virus definitions thru the Windows Firewall. Business users will get updates but not home users.
holdtight
Grafter

Im using Norton AV 2003 and sygate firewall and liveupdate has no problems with SP2 and that is with version 2 of L Update that shipped with the AV

there is a later version of Live update v 2.5 which i have recently installed
which you can find here http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html
its the very first one you need, also no problem with SP2
N/A

The problem seems to be with Windows Firewall preventing automatic updates on pre-2004 Norton AV.
N/A

If you've turned off the firewall, what makes you think it's still preventing any updates?

Are you using any other firewall software?
N/A

I have Norton Firewall. I turned off XP SP2 Firewall so that virus definitions in Norton AV could be updated. AS far as I understand only Norton AV 2004 gets thru the Windows Firewall.
Community Veteran

Running NAV 2003 here on XP2 with ZA firewall and XP2 firewall disabled. Liveupdate working fine (the lastest one 2.5.56 from Symantec website).